We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report

Ayr
Level Contributor
566 posts
275 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report

Hi All,

Arrived on 2nd of Jan from Prestwick.

TAXI to hotel 22 Euros.

Stayed at HOTEL ZENTRAL CENTRE in PDLA for 4 days before moving.

Hotel suits us fine, clean, big rooms with proper black out blinds, quiet, roof top pool with great views of Los Cris on one side, Tiede on another and La Gomera on the other.

Dont go here if you are looking for kids clubs or entertainment as there aint any!

We then moved to HOTEL LA PINTA for 7 nights on a GROUPON promotion deal. Hotel was ok, I would say the best thing about it was probably the location. We knew we were going to have to sit through a presentation to try to sell us timeshare which was fine.

Our room was a bit disappointing, TV was rubbish with channels alternating on the same numbered channel throughout the day! Balcony door didn't lock and air con didn't work. You would think that if somebody was trying to sell you something then they would show you the better side of things?

Anyway, the important stuff-

Where we ate - (We were there as a couple however our friends and kids were in Tenerife too so we met up with them some nights)

SAL NEGRA, San Telmo, Lovely tapas overlooking the beach. Portions are for sharing so don't order too many!

LA MARTINA, CC Safaris, Only ate there as we were struggling to get into any place else. Food was ok, but I wouldn't rush back.

HABIBI, San Telmo, Great Lebanese restaurant. Mixed starters consisted of a good variety of everyting, great dips and bread. Mains were chicken, beef or lamb kebabs and two portions of gypsy prawns. Delicious!

BIANCOS, cc Safaris, food excellent, service terrible. To be fair they were really busy however we had to ask someone to clear our table as there was virtually no room to serve our meal because of empty or unused glasses!

240 DEGREES, A reasonably new Spanish place in San Telmo. Waited ages for a table and then was very disappointed by the food. Put it down to teething problems.

CARLOS, near LA PINTA HOTEL. BRILIANT!. We ate there three times out of 11 nights. My girlfriend and I decided that that was going to be the final place for our last meal. It has a Portugese chef so it is a bit different from other restaurants. The service is excellent. Our favourite dish was Piri Piri Prawns, which consisted of Prawns, chilli, garlic, tomatoes, fennel, cream, mushrooms and onions. Our favourite dish of the holidays! Also great steaks, sizzling platters, meat kebabs hanging on a skewer dripping in garlic butter etc, yum!

OTELLOS, Fanabe. Cheap and cheerful garlic chicken, although it did taste like it was reheated from the night before!

SEBASTIONS, located in SUNSET BAY CLUB. 5 of us went for tapas one afternoon. Excellent! The young waiter advised us of what they had that day and we had Prawns in garlic, Duck crepe, Spinach gratan, Patatas Bravas, Padron peppers, Meatballs, Chilli squid, Chorizo and some brilliant warm home made rolls and dips.

BOMBAY BABU, under LA NINA HOTEL. Only had a carry out but very tasty Indian food.

MESAN CASTELLANO, PDLA. Great Spanish restaurant with no menu. Just tell them what you like and they will cook it and bring it out. We had Garlic Prawns, a huge steak on a sizzling platter and another plate of stew type stuff. Didnt know what it was but it was delicious.

TRAPICO, FANABE BEACH FRONT. Fantastic tapas place. I was just looking at the menu and the waiter asked me to go into the restaurant to look at the food. They had a fantastic array of local specialities and the chef was busy cooking Rabbit with Canarian sauce. We decided to eat there and it was brilliant. We had Iberico Pork, Prawns, Fish, Chicken, Meatballs etc etc. (The place is near the end of the row of shops/restaurants on the way to Playa Del Duque)

OASIS RESTAURANT, ADEJE VILLAGE. Brilliant! All they do is Garlic Chicken (miles better than OTELOS) Chips and a simple salad accompanied by wine or beer! The place was absolutely heaving with locals and a few tourists.

PS - ADEJE VILLAGE is lovely and well worth a visit.

FIRST LOVE, PDLA. (If you walk past the MONKEY BAR on the way to LOS CRIS, turn right at ZARA and head to the beach and it's on the right hand side) Run by a lovely young Italian couple who have been together since they were 14 (Hence the name of the restaurant) Chef sits down beside you to discuss what you would like to eat and advise you. Very fresh food and the couple are extremely nice and very passionate about what they do. Only had lunch, however we will definately go back nexyt time for dinner.

MIISHU CLUB, PUERTO COLON BEACH - It is a newish Teppanyaki/Chinese/Japanese place. We had a few drinks at the bar but never ate here as we had arranged to meet friends. Very very nice chill out feel to the place. One of the owners is the main Teppanyaki chef who used to be at the SLOW BOAT at CC SAFARIS.

OTHER BITS AND BOBS-

EXCHANGE RATE - Best was 1.19 to the pound.

WEATHER - FANTASTIC. Clear blue skies every day of the holiday.

LOOKY LOOKY MEN - Didnt seem to be as persistant as they used to be.

COCKROACHES - Never seen one!

TIMESHARE TOUTS (SEE ABOVE) - A few at Puerto Colon beach area. They tried the old scratchcard trick but as my friend found out they took you to a place where the RCI reps were although they denied that they were anything to do with RCI.

Oh well, thats enough from me, roll on MAY!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
9,964 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report

Wow what a wonderful trip report, i've eaten at a few you mentioned, and will be looking to eat at a few more when i go back in march.

MESAN CASTELLANO my favourite, we ate here on spanish christmas eve, i to had fillet steak and husband had suckling of pig, said it was the best food he'd ever eaten, we was a bit shocked at knowing there was no menu, and was taken into the back to see all the meat.

Fochabers, United...
Level Contributor
2,347 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report

Well done Bob. What a great report! I too will be keeping a note of some of your recommendations that I haven't tried and agree with your comments on the ones I have tried.

Nelly

Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
15,494 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report

Glad you enjoyed yourself. Puerto Colon beach is indeed a pain for the time share touts. In all the years we have visited Tenerife they have always been there. My hubby's milk bottle coloured legs usually give it away for us and they walk up to us asking if we are British. Last time was so hacked off with them that I rabbled some claptrap and said 'Ve are Finnish.' That was the end of the conversation and they walked off thinking they couldn't speak the lingo. Peace restored.

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
16,893 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report

Thank you for a great report. It is nice to know that some of the restaurants we regularly recommend on here still stick to the same high standards that they had when we tried them last.

You have mentioned a couple I haven´t heard of First Love and 240 Degrees which I would love to try.

Sounds as if you had a great time and glad you will be coming back to join us (again!).

redqueenmusings.wordpress.com

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
9,964 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report

first love is fantastic and does lovely food. x

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
56,092 posts
3,501 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report

Good detailed report!

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto de la Cruz, Weston-super-Mare, Tenerife
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report

Hi, great report, thanks. You answered may concerns others have had, such as no cockroaches. Back in May, not long to go then!!

cleethorpes
Level Contributor
11,498 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip report

Great ..............nice to see you did all the cooking !!!lol

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
611 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip report

jings crivens help ma boab ,whit a busy loon yiv been gled it wis guid an ye hud a stoatir haste ye back

Santa Cruz de...
Level Contributor
129 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip report

thanks for this complete restaurant listing!