We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cicar car rental

London, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Cicar car rental

Hi all.

I have been trying to find a car rental company that does not require credit card and do not require a deposit on pick up. Cicar has been mentioned a number of times on this site, has any one used them? Did you pay a deposit? Did you require a Credit cards?

Any info would be appreciated

84 replies to this topic
London, England
Level Contributor
7,992 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cicar car rental

CICAR are a reputable company that have been around for many years in the Canaries. They generally have competetive rates.

I really don't know if they require deposit or CC, as most car hire companies do. Have a look at their website, it is in English and should give you the information you are looking for.

North East
Level Contributor
6 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cicar car rental

We rented from them on Tenerife this month and they certainly didn't take any deposit, but I did give them a credit card to pay for the booking. From memory unlike other hire companies they did offer for me to pay by cash, but whether they would then have asked for a deposit I can't say.

What I would say is that I highly recommend them; very quick hassle free service, very professional and courtesy, return was a doodle with no checking of damage etc., fully inclusive insurance and great prices. If we return to the Canaries we'll hire from Cicar for sure.

Porthcawl, United...
Level Contributor
530 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cicar car rental

We have booked with them for next week and they have confirmed to me by e-mail the following:-

Payment can be cash or card on collection.

No deposit is required.

You will need to pay for what ever petrol is in the car when you collect it but this will be refunded if you return the car with the same level.

Northampton, United...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Cicar car rental

Hired with them before, car was fine and paid by cc on arrival. Cash would have been just as acceptable and no deposit required. Reccommended!

Zurich, Switzerland
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cicar car rental

Booked a car at CICAR via a car rental site. Got confirmation mail stating one price.

When at car pickup at office in Playa del Inglés, Gran Canaria, the price is up 2 euros per day, with no explanation for that given when asked.

They also added extra for 1/4 of a tank of petrol. No mention of that on their site and only noted when I asked why the sum on the receipt was larger than the one quoted on the site.

They make you sign a paper for the "insurance", where you actually accept charges, despite on their site claiming the opposite. The "insurance contract" is not available on their site for review prior to setting foot in their office.

We had to remind them to add name and license on "insurance" of second driver. No explanation whatsoever of what we were actually signing.

We left the car with 1/2 tank, and were promised to have the money for the 1/4 tank put back on credit card, but did not. Mailed to remind them of this, they say that we did not leave 1/2 of tank, only 1/4. Mailed to say that they are then saying that we are liars. Did not receive any more replies, and not the money back as promised.

Car lacked AC and was in poor shape.

Completely unprofessional, and lack of response. Would not recommend anyone to hire from CICAR in Playa del Inglés, Gran Canaria office.

Edited: 20 September 2012, 22:45
London, England
Level Contributor
7,992 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cicar car rental

Discontenta

Maybe you should have booked the car direct with CICAR because when we went to Ibiza in May I had booked a car direct with a car hire company and they gave us an excellent service. However, the rental agent told us they have different T&Cs for customers who have booked via a broker. I would imagine the extra charges are to pay the broker's commission.

Most comments regarding CICAR seem to be favourable, so maybe you were just unlucky. They have been operating in the Canaries for over 30 years (the time I have known them) so they must be doing something right.

Fochabers, United...
Level Contributor
2,347 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cicar car rental

I agree, the problems start when you use a third party with different terms and conditions so don't think it's CICAR's fault.

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
16,996 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cicar car rental

Perhaps as your gripe is with an office in Gran Canaria you should post on the Playa de Ingles forum rather than Tenerife. At least you will be making the people who are booking there aware there could be an issue. Posting on Tenerife IMO just seems a little unfair as there don´t seem to be problems with the outlets on this island yet your comments could put some off from using this company.

As I said, just my opinion :(

redqueenmusings.wordpress.com

9. Re: Cicar car rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 March 2013, 15:27

Zurich, Switzerland
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Cicar car rental

I can't remember if I used a third-party site or booked directly on Cicar.

However, the reservation confirmation with the quoted price was sent from info@cicar.com, so the pricing information was sent directly from Cicar. I assume that is a central server, and the same thing might happen anywhere Cicar operates.

Edited: 21 September 2012, 21:04
Reply to: Cicar car rental
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tenerife