We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter/Long Say

Panaji
Level Contributor
577 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Winter/Long Say

Hi all, we have not stayed in the Canaries before, we usually stay in Portugal or Goa, so we would like to stay somewhere warmer than Portugal and nearer than India so we would like some advice on where to stay and what to expect price wise for accomodation, we are looking to stay for 3-4 months and need somewhere reletively flat and with a bit of life as we are not that old yet. What is the cost of living like and where would be good for us to stay, cheers Ted.

Ireland, UK
Level Contributor
2,588 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Winter/Long Say

Hi there, We have stayed the last 5 years in Tenerife from Beginning of January until end of March . It certainly is warmer than the UK, Although I think Goa would be warmer and cheaper.We find shopping much the same as the UK . Although when we're at home we tend to buy everything in Tescos or Sainsburys where'as in Tenerife we shop about. We stay in Palm Mar and where we stay has a lot of steps so wouldn't be suitable if you want accommodation on the flat. We also hire a car for the whole time as we get very restless sitting about and like to explore the Island but if you stay in PLDA or Los Cristianos it's not necessary plus it does have plenty of life about it. We stayed in PLDA the first year but felt it was just too holiday ish for us. I think you can expect to spend about 450 euros a month for a 1 bed apartment . That is a very rough estimate . It very much depends on the area. I always keep a "weather " diary and this year we had quite a lot of cool cloudy days (about half) and it is cool at night . That said you don't need air con or heating either. We always advise anyone to get an apartment with Uk TV and a DVD player as you don't want to go out every night. Hope this helps. Feel free to Pm me if you wnt any other info.

up north
Level Contributor
2,061 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Winter/Long Say

los cristianos is flattish and should suit you, not too far from quite a few courses, weather should be warmer than portugal but not as warm as goa but not as far either !! the pound is quite strong at the moment due to the crisis in spain/portugal so cost of living should be cheaper than recent yrs for SC due to good exchange rates.tons of cheap places to eat n drink also.golf fees are quite a bit dearer through winter months than summer though.

Panaji
Level Contributor
577 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Winter/Long Say

Cheers for this and please keep them coming, Ted.

Ireland, UK
Level Contributor
2,588 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Winter/Long Say

Yes, that's a point I hadn't thought of Notatowny the exchange rate is a lot better this year as some years we were getting £1 for euro. We stayed the first year in Parc santiago 2 ..but we found the whole area was just too noisy as it was full of holiday makers which is why we now stay in a residential area.

Fochabers, United...
Level Contributor
2,347 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Winter/Long Say

Notatowny,

I'm just curious about your advice to tseamsok about golf - are you psychic as I don't see any mention of it in his question!

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto de la Cruz, Weston-super-Mare, Tenerife
Level Contributor
3,954 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Winter/Long Say

Hi, we like Puerto de la Cruz on the northern coast. Puerto is a local town as well as a holiday resort. Although we don't stay for the whole of winter, we do have holidays either side of Christmas. However there are many English who do.

Puerto dates back to the 1600s, with many local shops, bars and restaurants as well as tourist shops.

There is a large beach with good facilities as well as a large sea water lido.

Puerto is well connected to local bus services. We travel from and to the airport, as well as Santa Cruz, just 40 minutes away. We also regularly visit Oratava and La Villa a lovely shopping centre with all the Spanish high street stores.

7. Re: Winter/Long Say

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Tenerife