We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Orlando Canaries or Hertz?

North Wales
Level Contributor
88 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Orlando Canaries or Hertz?

Hi,

Help needed please! We have booked a package including car hire with Holiday Autos. The voucher states Orlando Canaries but the reports don't sound promising and also it is off the airport although I don't know how far.

I rang Holiday Autos and asked if there was another car hire company they used based in the airport and they said Hertz and I can change if I want (about £10 more).

However, Hertz also seems to have a less than favourable reputation in Tenerife.

Have any of you used either of these companies and have any good things to say or which do you think would be the lesser of two evils!?

Thank you for your help

51 replies to this topic
Dublin, Ireland
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Orlando Canaries or Hertz?

Hi there,

Just wondering which rental company you went with in the end on your holiday. We're flying out to Tenerife in the next week and have hired a car through Holiday Autos who in turn provide the car through Orlando Car Rental. I believe they are located off airport in a local industrial estate, which i didnt realise until after the booking? If you could let me know i would appreciate it. I tried to ring my holiday broker to get it changed to an airport rental company but was told id have to pay €55 cancellation fee no other option available.

All recent experiences with Orlando Rental in tenerife welcomed

North Wales
Level Contributor
88 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Orlando Canaries or Hertz?

Hi,

I researched a lot on the internet and it seemed that AUTO REISEN had the best reports so I booked with them.

What a fantastic company! Pleasant helpful staff, good clean car which was half full of fuel. Told to bring back with about the same. None of the usual fuel ripoff.

Full insurance included in the price - no effort to sell us anything extra and on return they didn't even come and check the car. (as we had been incident free obviously there was no bumps or scratches but did wonder if when they did finally check what they would have done if there had been or did their insurance cover every eventuality?)

Smooth process from start to finish and would highly recommend them Just wish they were available on the mainland.

We had booked our flights, hotel and car hire through Travel Republic and in turn they had used Holiday Autos. We were then allocated a car from Orlando but the reviews were so awful that I spoke with Travel Republic and they agreed that I just paid the £15 cancellation to Holiday Autos.

Even including that, the cost of our two week rental with Auto Reisen was still cheaper!!

Shrewsbury, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Orlando Canaries or Hertz?

I haven't hired a car in Tenerife for a couple of years but I have used both Hertz and Orlando. When you arrive there will be a mini bus for Orlando customers, they take you to their garage and process your booking and you take the car away. At the end of your holiday you return the car and are bussed back to the airport. Cars are basic but we had no problem and all you need is a runaround after all.

Hertz is located in the terminal and you can complete your paperwork while you wait for your cases, very convenient. The cars were a slightly better grade. The cars are parked on the airport but usually a bit of a trek with cases.

Both services were fine but for convenience and better car quality I would choose Hertz. If you don't want to pay the extra to change, relax it will work out fine. I also booked through the internet and did not realise Orlando were not on the airport but it was not a disaster. Sometimes too much information is a bad thing.

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Orlando Canaries or Hertz?

Hired a car from Orlando August 2013 what a bunch of cow boys!! they pick u up at the airport, hopefully you will find their bus driver they take you to an industrial site (under groud car park) and give you a car that is not less then 5 years old and has more dents then a battle ship, they charge you 80 euros for fuel for a car that take 65 liters (fuel localy 1.12per liter) They should be renamed renta wreck

Helensburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,223 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Orlando Canaries or Hertz?

Can't understand why TA users don't do a search for "car hire" on the forum before deciding.

London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Orlando Canaries or Hertz?

I rent a car in Tenerife about 5 -6 times each year. I always make a point of using Orlando as I have found them to be extremely helpful in the past.

The question of the extra fuel charge is generally found in the fuel policy part of the booking process on line. I have been stung once in the past but that was enough and it has never happened again. I agree it is very annoying to have to pay for more fuel than the cars tank is capable of taking. It was my fault for not checking properly when making the booking.

Leiden
Level Contributor
1 post
187 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Orlando Canaries or Hertz?

Several times we rented a car in the Canaries through other companies, such as the airline, the travel agency, and so on. They inevitably came up with Orlando, because that offers the lowest rates.

However, we always had to pay additionally an overpriced amount of money for the fuel. When we compared that to the full-to-full fuel policy of other rental companies we paid in the end more for the Orlando car than we would have to pay at other companies.

On top of that, we always needed additional time to get the car or to return it, because Orlando has no office at the airport.

So we decided to make sure that in the Canaries we get a car from other companies that Orlando.

Cumbria, England
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Orlando Canaries or Hertz?

I've rented from Orlando several times now and feel they need defending having read complaints on here. They are cheaper than most, the office is 5km from Tenerife South Airport and you are taken to the office by minibus. Office is in an undergound car park. I've never had to wait more than 10 mins for the bus and the drivers explain where you're going and how to find it again when you take the car back. The check in is as easy as any other place, you are given a map enabling you to find your way back, it's about 200 metres from a motorway junction. As for the cars I've had a well dented model, a brand new one with 5km on the clock and various ones inbetween. I've never had problems with damage claims on return or with the fuel policy. I use them all the time on Tenerife. Staff have always been polite and helpful.

London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Orlando Canaries or Hertz?

absolutely.... agree with the postings here ..DO NOT USE ORLANDO I would not advise going with this company they have not refunded my insurance deposit and I did not damage the car in anyway... it is the most unprofessional company I have ever been with. the couple in front of us also had the same issue with the 75 euro charge for fuel which did not bode well... on an island that was 25x50 kilometres wide... we did a lot of driving (500 kilometres a lot of hair pin bends) but even we didn't manage to use that much oil... the guy waived away my card and said it would going on within two hours when we returned it to the airport... clearly in retrospect by that time you will be safely on the other side of customs or headed home and unable to do anything about it. so 175 euros down the swannee just before Christmas I am going to post this everywhere I can so that other travellers do not lose out

Edited: 16 December 2013, 05:26
London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Orlando Canaries or Hertz?

Unfortunately the same cannot be said for Orlando La Palma... where on arrival the guy wasn't even at the desk they had to phone to get him there.. no repayment of insurance... did not check car before or after... car park so dark you wouldn't have been able to see much anyway... 75 euros for a tank of fuel for the couple in front of us... don't know what size car they had ?? you wouldn't have got that in the little one I had... still awaiting my 175 insurance deposit for the car I did not damage in anyway... happy Christmas holidays... :( car rentals are looking in to this meantime I will be postings this anywhere I can as I am a nurse working for a hospice and I do not get paid big money... :( :( :( and I don't want others to be left out of pocket

Reply to: Orlando Canaries or Hertz?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted