We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prickly heat

north east
Level Contributor
547 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Prickly heat

Anyone got any good remedies for this, as I suffer terrible every holiday.

Thanks

west midlands
Level Contributor
51 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prickly heat

my mrs swears by green tea tablets from the herbal shop

north east
Level Contributor
547 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prickly heat

Off to Las Americas in 4 weeks will put those on my list....Thanks

west yorkshire
Level Contributor
302 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prickly heat

Hi,

Aloe Vera gel is very good for prickly heat. You can buy it in the perfume shops and I think in the supermarkets. I have a few plant growning in my kitchen and I use the gel for dermatitis and burns.

I would recommend that you shower off any sun cream etc before you put it on for the best results.

Carol

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
42 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prickly heat

I use piriton allergy tablets, usually start taking them one week before we go,and all through the holiday.Also helps if you get bitten by mozzis.

(Only take one per day,)

Anthisan bite and sting cream also works for me.

Brian

Scotland
Level Contributor
626 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Prickly heat

I get strong anti-histamine tablets from the doctor, and take them before and during my holiday. Non-drowsy, and you can take them with alcohol. :-)

cleethorpes
Level Contributor
1,023 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Prickly heat

take anti-histamine tablets at least four weeks before you go away and also use piz buin allergey sun tan lotion.

If you do both of these then you should have no problems at all.

Abroad prickly heat is seen as a cash cow, what i mean by this is, there are people who sell sun tan lotion abroad and they love it when people suffer because they sell you sun tan lotion and after sun for around £50.

It is shocking but true. I watched a man spend 100 euro on stuff for two weeks, so if you do the above you can save your money and not suffer.

north east
Level Contributor
547 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Prickly heat

Thanks everybody. I shall try these and fingers crossed

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
11,758 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Prickly heat

I use Ultrasun once a day sunscreen which is brilliant and helps combat it, I also take an antihistamine a day before I go and while I'm there plus I stop wearing all perfume and antiperspirants as they make it worse. In the evening I spray my clothes and not me! LOL!

Also, wear a short sleeved cotton t-shirt rather than tight non-natural cloth. Keep yourself hydrated too and buy a can of Magicool for prickly heat and an normal Magicool and spray frequently to keep the heat down.

Midlands
Level Contributor
76 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Prickly heat

I have only suffered from prickly heat once and that was in Tenerife. I went to the farmacia and they recommended some anti-histamine tablets which were very cheap and worked within hours.

I have since used them for mosquito bites and they were very effective.

Fochabers, United...
Level Contributor
2,347 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Prickly heat

I sympathise with anyone who suffers from prickly heat. I used to be covered in the spots all over my body and once they arrived no amount of sprays lotions or anti-histamine put them away altogether. I now have it under control (although I've never tried anti-histamine before I go) by taking a high strength Vitamin C table and beta-carotene tablets for (preferably 6 weeks) before I go on holiday. I'm not sure which one actually works but not taking any chances lol