We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in Tenerife

North Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Driving in Tenerife

We are off to Tenerife 26th-30th May and have booked a hire car for the 4 days. I've been told it's a bit hairy driving in Tenerife and the roads can be a bit scary. Any advice?

Stevenage, United...
Level Contributor
912 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving in Tenerife

Hi WACT

The motorways are just like any other, except of course you're on the other side of the highway and overtaking to your left. The roundabouts are tricky, because you're going round anticlockwise and looking for traffic from the left.

The mountain roads are mostly single carriageway, and you should take care on bends...there's lots of them and buses trucks and coaches take up a lot of room on cornering. The sheer drops are a bit scary, but most of the routes have barracades on the drop side so it's pretty safe. You do get used to it and the views are not to be missed.

It all just means that you must take extra care and be vigilant .... and not drive when you've been drinking - the penalties are steep if you're caught.

Personally, I've found the trickiest bit is changing gear with the wrong hand, and making sure you get into the car on the driver's side!

Relax....enjoy!

North Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving in Tenerife

Thanks for that. I have driven in Portugal so have some experience of left hand driving. I think it is probably the mountain roads bit that bothers me slightly, but as you say, I don't want to miss the views!

London, UK
Level Contributor
71 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving in Tenerife

Roads in the mountains are very bendy but fine if you take the bends carefully. Can't speak for the whole island but the roads in the north west are almost unbelievably well maintained with really good surfaces [I'm too used to cr@ppy London roads! We were pleasantly surprised at how civilised the driving was, after reading comments on here.

North Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving in Tenerife

That's good to here, thanks for that.