We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which resort would suit us?

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
4,754 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Which resort would suit us?

Hi Everyone

I’m hoping for some recommendations please on which resorts might suit us. Here’s our wish-list….

Nice sandy well cared-for beach with facilities, but not where you’re all packed in like sardines

Not overly “British” resort – we’d prefer a Spanish/international feel

Well cared-for resort – we appreciate the recession has hit hard everywhere, but I’d rather not see lots of closed businesses etc.

Plenty of restaurants/bars/tavernas within easy reach - it would be even better if they were on a promenade/seafront (but not really nightclubs)

Accessible to historical/natural sites by hire car

Any recommendations would be very much appreciated...

Thank you!

Sunderland
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which resort would suit us?

Hi VegasShowgirl

I cannot offer an opinion on the southern resorts but I can give you some advice on Puerto de la Cruze in the north .

It can be cloudier than the south and a couple of degrees colder but it still has temps in the 70/80s ,and you do get a tan if there is cloud cover .

It is a Canarian working town with a Canarian feel , but has visitors from all over the world . There is a very relaxed feeling in the resort and you do not get any trouble from "over enthusiastic" holiday makers .

It has two main beaches that are black volcanic sand ,but it is just like sand back home . The main beach is quite large and well maintained , while the smaller beach is tidy but not well used and both have somewhere to eat nearby .

Puerto has lots of restaurants and places to eat and if you book San Felipe , H10Tenerife Playa ,Valle Mar , Catalonia La Vegas ,they are all on the prom and next to several good eating places .

Wherever you go you will see closed shops ,but having just come , back I did not notice many .

Puerto does not have much in the way of British style entertainment ,but if you like history ,old buildings people watching from pavement bars ,Puerto is the place to go ,

As for places to visit , Puerto is the idea placel to set off from to visit historical and Canarian villages

Edited: 27 September 2012, 14:17
up north
Level Contributor
2,061 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which resort would suit us?

the main resorts in the south..las americas/los cristianos are geared towards mass british holiday makers (along with other europeans) and agree with the above post ..puerto would suit you a lot better.

Rutland UK
Destination Expert
for Tenerife
Level Contributor
11,666 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which resort would suit us?

Hi VegasShowgirl ..... I have just answered a similar query ,,,so I will give you the link to the thread with other replies too ..and hope this will be of help ....

tripadvisor.co.uk/…43877065

Sylla

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
4,754 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which resort would suit us?

Thanks to all who've replied so far. Will start some research.

Puerto de la Cruz does look nice but I'm a bit of a sun seeker - with only one holiday a year I really like my sunshine to be "guaranteed"

Any further opinions from others would be gratefully appreciated!

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
4,174 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which resort would suit us?

Sun = south.

It's a no brainer. Hunt out a quieter hotel nearer to Costa Adeje. You will find everything you need there.

6. Re: Which resort would suit us?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 10:18