We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which resort - Playa San Juan, El Medano or La Caleta?

Suffolk, UK
Level Contributor
23 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Which resort - Playa San Juan, El Medano or La Caleta?

We have 2 young children (4 and 6) and are looking to go to Tenerife next April for a week. We are looking for a smallish resort with not too many tourists, but with a reasonable choice of places to eat and preferably decent restaurants open at lunchtime or early evening for a family meal.

I have narrowed it down to the above, but am open to other suggestions.

I'd also like to know whether a swimming pool is worth having in early April and it is always really windy in El Medano (to the point where we won't be able to go on the beach comfortably). Also, how much noise from the airport there is in this resort.

Thanks in advance

Ireland, UK
Level Contributor
2,694 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which resort - Playa San Juan, El Medano or La Caleta?

Personally I would go for San Juan as El Medano is always windy and La Caleta is more of a working fishing town with just a stoney beach.

Puerto de la Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Tenerife
Level Contributor
1,616 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which resort - Playa San Juan, El Medano or La Caleta?

I agree with LA.CO.ANTRIM

My personal favourite of the three is El Médano - it's got the most character (feels like a Canarian coastal town) and more varied choices of where to eat and stay. But it does have the wind and you do get some aircraft noise.

La Caleta although nice is becoming a bit engulfed by the other purpose built Costa Adeje resorts and doesn't really fit the bill of 'not too many tourists' any more.

Playa San Juan is quiet (not a lot to do) but does probably fit your remit best. The only problem is that apart from the Abama near the town, there isn't a lot of choice of where to stay. Apartments in town are probably the best bet.

Suffolk, UK
Level Contributor
23 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which resort - Playa San Juan, El Medano or La Caleta?

Thanks for both your replies. I have emailed a few apartment owners/managers in San Juan for more details. Are there any areas I should avoid? I want to be fairly central and have read that there are 2 beaches - one of which isn't so great?

El Medano will be my fall back. Is the noise from the airport 24 hours or does it stop overnight? I can cope with noise in the day but jets going over in the evening/night would not be great!

Puerto de la Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Tenerife
Level Contributor
1,616 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which resort - Playa San Juan, El Medano or La Caleta?

Playa San Juan isn't very big at all, so anywhere in the town itself should be close to the beach. It's worth checking that apartments are in town and not 'nearby'.

There are two beaches right next to the small harbour. They're only separated by a small stone jetty. One's a lot bigger than the other but both are absolutely fine.

I've stayed in the centre of El Médano and not noticed any aircraft noise during the night. On the other hand I've been at the very eastern end of the town at night and have been aware of it... but I was outside at the time.

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
255 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which resort - Playa San Juan, El Medano or La Caleta?

Anything on the "front line" in San Juan will suit you perfectly. We have stayed the last four visits in an apartment : the Marlin Apartments right by the beach are probably the best place to be. Just Google them and you can find what you need!

I like San Juan because it is quiet, no hotels and still a bit "real Canaries". Some nice restaurants etc and good walking and swimming. Does it for me!

6. Re: Which resort - Playa San Juan, El Medano or La Caleta?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 07:19