We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parts of Puerto de la Cruz under water

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
17,103 posts
147 reviews
Save Topic
Parts of Puerto de la Cruz under water

Due to heavy rain in the north of the island, houses in Puerto de la Cruz have been flooded, roads are closed due to falling trees and landslides and the Plaza del Charco recorded a significant accumulation of water which reached a depth of about 35 centimetres (14 inches in old money) due to clogged drains.

CECOS received many 112 calls during the night and highway crews have worked hard all night to restore the roads affected by rain. By 6.00am this morning only 1 lane of the TF5 was open heading towards Santa Cruz.

This was reported today in the Spanish press not seen it yet in the English news so wonder what their take is on it.

For anyone in PdlC hope this does not spoil your holiday and that things are soon back to normal.

http://redqueenmusings.wordpress.com

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
17,103 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parts of Puerto de la Cruz under water

Just spoke to friend in north, the TF31 (coast road) leading into Puerto is closed they think the tunnel must be impassable. The centre of Ave Aguilar is like a water park (I don´t know this - she said it is a main artery that runs down to the seafront but close to a barranco). They are on Orange Alert for more bad weather but at the moment the rain has stopped.

redqueenmusings.wordpress.com

2. Re: Parts of Puerto de la Cruz under water

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 07 November 2012, 12:05
Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
17,103 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parts of Puerto de la Cruz under water

I am sure if people had died we would have heard something, on the radio or in the papers, even Island Connections could not have missed that !! So think the Mail is doing what they do best, mis-reporting.

redqueenmusings.wordpress.com

Rutland UK
Destination Expert
for Tenerife
Level Contributor
11,603 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parts of Puerto de la Cruz under water

I will remove my post until we have more definate and local information ....

And I hope things will improve soon ...

Sylla

Sunderland
Level Contributor
1,468 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parts of Puerto de la Cruz under water

Here is hoping that everyone ,residents and visitors ,are OK and the island gets back to normal as soon as possible . Who cares wether the weather is better in the south or north ,as long as everyone is safe .

Rutland UK
Destination Expert
for Tenerife
Level Contributor
11,603 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Parts of Puerto de la Cruz under water

Just to put things in perspective ....!

I have just this minute spoken to my friend (a Local) in the Hotel San Felipe ...which the Ave Aguilars is along side .... It is perfectly OK . and she didn't know about anything like a water park ! ... Just the very long tunnel with the windows that enters the town had a lot of water .... And the hotel had water in the Al a carte restaurant , which if anyone that doesn't know the hotel is away from the hotel at the other end of the gardens ...but everything is now fixed ....

Lastweek they had some very high winds that did some damage to some windows ...but again everything is fixed ....

It all sounded pretty normal from the background I could hear as I was talking

She said it is still raining ...but tomorrows forecast is good ....

Sylla

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
17,103 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Parts of Puerto de la Cruz under water

It was reported 35 mins ago in the Spanish press that the TF-5 and the TF31 access to Puerto de la Cruz by Martiánez are finally open. Although due to a further landslide which occurred about 10.30am this morning, both directions of the TF13, La Laguna road, have been closed.

http://redqueenmusings.wordpress.com

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
403 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Parts of Puerto de la Cruz under water

Just read about what has been occuring in PDLC - I sincerely hope that evryone is okay. Has there been any further updates regarding the situation overnight and today.

Deefiaant10

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,593 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Parts of Puerto de la Cruz under water

Sylla and Aguilas, thanks so much for your posts about the weather in Tenerife. I was wondering if this has affected the Santa Cruz area as we will be docking there Dec. 6th. I know it's a bit away til that date but just curious what impact, if any, this may possibly have on our visit that day. Some of us will be taking tours and visiting Mt. Teide. Has the landslide caused considerable damage anywhere other than what you have indicated?

Thanks so much. I hope that everyone stays safe.

May

Rutland UK
Destination Expert
for Tenerife
Level Contributor
11,603 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Parts of Puerto de la Cruz under water

Hi May ... I have scanned the local papers , but I can't find any more about the floods , so I presume things are getting back to normal ...I'm sure if there is anything to worry about your tours company on the Island will know about it !

It has been a lovely day today in the North and South going by the up to date webcams ...

These downpours do happen from time to time in various parts of the Island , but thankfully it is not that often , so far ...

Enjoy your trip

Sylla