We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking in Tenerife

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
846 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Hiking in Tenerife

Hello,

We will be in Playa de los Americas for 2 weeks end of 2012 and plan to do some hiking on the island. We will have a car and therefore prefer round trips that start and finish where we park the car.

I have an outdoor GPS and am looking for GPS tracks for day hikes of about 15-20 km. I have already found many tracks on internet, more than I can ever walk. We'll do the Teide hike if the weather allows.

Now I need some advice from the experts: which part or specific hike on the island we should not miss during our hikes? It would be cool to have a mixture of different walks lunar landscapes, forests, cliffs etc to get a good feel for all the nature Tenerife has to offer.

If you have GPS tracks of your favorite hike, please let me know!

Thanks,

Dennis

cleethorpes
Level Contributor
11,492 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking in Tenerife

Hi ,Destination Expert Cyberhikers your man .Though hes not been around for a few months .However if you look at the list of Destination Experts names on the righthand side of these pages and click on his name it will take you to his posts .On the lefthand side go to Send a Message ...i am sure if hes not away he will answer your questions ,others may also do on here.

Hope this Helps

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
846 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking in Tenerife

Thanks, I already have read some of Cyberhikers comments and seen the link to his book as well. I hope he has some good advice for me :-)

cleethorpes
Level Contributor
11,492 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking in Tenerife

Unable to do such wonderful walks i rely on Cyberhikers posts and fantastic pictures ......hes just not round enough these days .Hope everything is well with him .

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
16,854 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking in Tenerife

Good morning Dennis

I am attaching links to a couple of website, both old but IMO good reads and I doubt the walks will have changed too much. I assumed you would be doing your own thing, but if you are wanting a guide then let me know I have a couple of other sites I could recommend.

www.tenerifewalks.com/category/los-gigantes/

http://www.tenerifehiking.com/

Enjoy

http://redqueenmusings.wordpress.com

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
846 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiking in Tenerife

Thanks Aguilas, I have already found many good walks, GPS tracks and descriptions while doing my research.

There's just so many choice that I need somebody with some hiking experience to tell me what parts of the Island i really should not miss...

Fochabers, United...
Level Contributor
2,347 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiking in Tenerife

The other DE Gustovino is the other one who will be able to advise you - this is his site - http://walkingtenerife.co.uk/

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
846 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hiking in Tenerife

Hi,

I wanted to use this website to make a reservation for my permit to climb the Teide: https://www.reservasparquesnacionales.es/

Unfortunately, all time slots are already full until the 6th of January. Is this normal?

Is there a way around this?

Thanks,

Dennis

PS Still looking for a great 15-20 km walk in the laurel forests in the North of Tenerife, so if anybody has a suggestion...

Puerto de la Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Tenerife
Level Contributor
1,605 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hiking in Tenerife

There's one way around it if all the slots have gone. Book into the Altavista refuge overnight.

There's a couple of plus factors with this.

A) You climb the last few hundred metres in the darkness (incredible starry, starry skies with shooting stars) and get to witness dawn across the Canary Islands from the summit of Mount Teide. It's a pretty special experience.

B) Anyone who stays at the refuge to climb to the summit for sunrise doesn't need a permit - as long as they're off the peak before 9am.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
846 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hiking in Tenerife

GustaVino, what an excellent suggestion...Will certainly check this possibility!

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
846 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hiking in Tenerife

GustoVino, do you also have some advice on the best hikes on the island?

Something about 15-20 km per day and roundtrips. I have been looking at your website but it is hard to pick the right hikes as I do not really get the overview. Wouldn't mind to buy the PDFs (if delivered by Sunday), do you have GPS files with them as well?

I have gotten used to using GPS tracks by now instead of a paper version that you have to check all the time...I know, I'm spoiled...

BTW, we are pretty decent walkers so difficulty is not a problem and we like something challenging as well...

Edited: 22 December 2012, 08:22