We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxis overcharging

Liverpool
Level Contributor
152 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Taxis overcharging

Why do the taxi drivers feel the need to overcharge?

Me, my fiancee, brother an his girlfriend went from the Columbus in PDLA to San Eugenio supermarket today and when we arrived at the supermarket the driver added the 1.65 surcharge which they add on when they take you to the aiport/ beach.

We have done this journey two other times this holiday and hadn't been hit with the surcharge so I asked the driver why he added €1.65?

His reply was 'if you don't want to pay it then I will drive you to the police station.'

Was he taking advantage of the situation since we are in our young 20's?

I have been to Tenerife in excess of 10 times now and this is only the second time where I have been caught by this surcharge, admittedly the first time I wasn't aware of the 'pick up from the beach charge'

Over to you guys.

Are they regulated by the Tenerife government?

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
917 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxis overcharging

We've also been charged the surcharge for every taxi we've taken - whether from the airport or just around the resort. Haven't complained about it though as we weren't sure what the rules were. Does anyone know what when the surcharge should be added?

2. Re: Taxis overcharging

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 March 2013, 15:42
wigan
Level Contributor
120 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxis overcharging

Yes I know why they add the surcharge,its because they are a bunch of thieving bar stewards .Most of the taxi drivers dont over charge but about 25% do,this is why we do not use taxis any more,we try to get accommodation near the sea front so we can walk everywhere.Also the bus service is very good ,especially from the airport.Hope something can be done about this problem for the sake of the honest taxi drivers.

Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
16,424 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxis overcharging

<<Yes I know why they add the surcharge,its because they are a bunch of thieving bar stewards>>

This comment has set me up for the day. Howled with laughter.

Antigua, Spain
Level Contributor
5,045 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxis overcharging

Hi

Did you flag him down or phone and order one......if you did either of these then he is entitled to add a surcharge......unless you actually board a taxi at the rank the driver can(but does not always)legally add a surcharge.

Afraid that is the law here so calling him a theiving so and so makes no difference......read the fare chart displayed in front of the passenger seat in all taxis......might be in Spanish (but then you are in Spain)which explains all the extras a driver can charge!

List of Extras a driver can charge for.

Picking up after being flagged down

In other words virtually the same as any cabbie would charge for in the UK !!

Picking up after being pre-ordered(he can also charge for the distance travelled from where he received the call to your pick up point !! be aware!!)

Any action which causes the driver to exit the vehicle(assiting you/opening the boot/etc)

Any luggage is chargeable per item (includes shopping bags/wheelchairs/buggies/walking aids etc.)

Any and all animals whether in a cage or not

Any food or drink consumed in the vehicle(as it is prohibited)

Any soiling /damage caused to the driver or vehicle

There are others this is not a comprehensive list but all charges are regulated by the local Ayuntamiento....and published usually on their website(again in Spanish).

I know some drivers who do not own their cabs will charge for all and some who do own their cabs(and do not have to account for the differences between their meter and their cash) will often not charge.

Edited: 30 January 2013, 09:53
castleford united...
Level Contributor
1,273 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxis overcharging

We were charged a supplement every time we used them when we were there a couple of weeks ago,i must say though that they seem to charge what they want,we taxied from safari centre to bouganville a few times and payed anything from 5 euro to a whopping 12 one night,the driver was a total mad man so 12 euro wasnt bad cos its £30 in alton towers lol

uk
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxis overcharging

Just had a quote for an airport transfer £44.00 return for 4 adults to costa adeje is this about right.

uk
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxis overcharging

Just had a quote for an airport transfer £44.00 return for 4 adults to costa adeje is this about right.

uk
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxis overcharging

10. Re: Taxis overcharging

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 March 2013, 15:42