We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

why is tenerife so expensive?

London
4 posts
Save Topic
why is tenerife so expensive?

I was looking to go away in a couple of weeks to tenerife... but I am finding that the absolute minimum for AI is £650pp in hotels that haven't had good reviews. I would have thought that I could get a better last minute deal than this.. is this just what tenerife costs, even out of peak time/half term?

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,416 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: why is tenerife so expensive?

Hi

I do believe that these days the "last minute cheap deals" are fast becoming a thing of the past., More and more of the TO are now opting for hotels AI, that way that to some extent have a "captured group" as people then look that "with the price we have paid we are going to get our moneys worth". We always choose HB even if it means bypassing the TO and booking direct with the hotel as at least that way we can choose if we want to eat and drink at the hotel or sample the delights of what the resort has to offer.

All in all these days you pay you money and take your choice but I for one would not book AI in an hotel :0)

Hope this helps

Sparhawk1

London
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: why is tenerife so expensive?

Thanks for your advice. Half board sounds a better option then. Do you know if you can have alcholic drinks with dinner when doing HB?

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,416 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: why is tenerife so expensive?

Hi

Yes most hotels will offer beers or wine at dinnertime {not sure if all will, do things like G&T ect }but we always have beer and wine with our meals be it in the hotel or when eating out

Hope this helps

Sparhawk1

Edited: 09 February 2013, 22:56
Uk
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: why is tenerife so expensive?

Hi Alice,

We were in a Hotel in Menorca last year oin a half board basis and te only drink we received during dinner was a bottle of wine. Beers and spirits were charged for as extras. I'm not to sure if this applies throughout Spain, but it was certainly the case there.

Have great trip.

Rutland UK
Destination Expert
for Tenerife
Level Contributor
11,574 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: why is tenerife so expensive?

Alice ..

With half board you can order any drink you wish , but you will have to pay extra for it , it will not be included in the price of HB ... But the drinks you would get with AI will not be quality brands ... and I have tasted the plonk included in AI ...I couldn't drink it LOL !

We order a good bottle of wine which will cost around 12 to 14euros and have it for two days ...the waiter will put your room number on the bottle and keep it for you the next day ... Water is also usually extra too on HB ...

We find that AI is a very expensive way to go , unless you drink a lot or have children that want snacks and icecreams/drinks all day ....

In two weeks our last holiday we spent an extra 150euros for extras and snacks in the hotel for two people !

Sylla

Edited: 09 February 2013, 23:09
Rutland UK
Destination Expert
for Tenerife
Level Contributor
11,574 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: why is tenerife so expensive?

Forgot to say in my edit time , those extras included after dinner drinks and coffee ...

S

cleethorpes
Level Contributor
11,540 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: why is tenerife so expensive?

IMO ....when it comes to last minute deals even if you can find them they often dont offer the AI option ,usually to make money back from under booking by offering other board basis's. Really its not Tenerife thats expensive its the tour operators out to make money .Being an all year round destination this adds money to their coffers .So unlike other places in the world that are seasonal and they have to make money in its few seasonal months they can just about charge the same each and every month with very little difference between them .

Have you looked into booking flights and hotels separately ? Often these days its the way to go ,now last minute deals are getting less and less .

If you look at some "Full Board " options this includes all meals and drinks with meals .However there may not be much difference in price ,Tour Operators want you to go AI , they make more money having you as a captive audience !!!

north east
Level Contributor
562 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: why is tenerife so expensive?

Just returned home yesterday after 1 week self catering, lovely apartments,and so cheap to eat out, at a huge selection of very good restaraunts.

A.I. is sadly putting a lot of places out of business,but admit they do suit families with young children.

As OLNF has stated, try and do your own package with flights and hotel seperate,(I have not used a travel agent for the last 12 years),you will be amazed how much can be saved.

Fochabers, United...
Level Contributor
2,347 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: why is tenerife so expensive?

I repeat the advice of OLNF and NorthEastPopeye. Do your own thing, AI is so restrictive.

Sunderland
Level Contributor
1,432 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: why is tenerife so expensive?

Hi

We have tried booking hotel and flight separately , but have usually found that the price was nearly the same as booking with a tour operator

The last 2 years we have booked with Jet2 Holidays and found them about £200 pounds cheaper than Cooks & Thompsons for the holiday we wanted (half board )

Once in Puerto , we have found eating out and having a drink cheap , for this reason we have not considered going AI .

For the evening meal , drinks are available ,but as mentioned previously you have to pay .