We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Theft what should I do

Scotland
Level Contributor
61 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Theft what should I do

Hi

I was the unfortunate victim of a mugging in Tenerife - not having a dig at Tenerife I know it can happen anywhere.

Crime reported to police who amazingly found the culprits and our belongings. Before the belongings were returned to us I wanted some evidence from the police that the crime had been reported so I could claim from our travel insurance. At this point I seemed to sign a form stating I wanted to make a claim. It all got very complicated after that requiring us to attend court where we had an interpreter who cleared up most of the confusion and the claim was withdrawn. The question I am left with is, if I or anyone else needs to report a theft Tenerife what should they do so they get the necessary paperwork for an insurance claim but does not require them to attend court. Appreciate if anyone could provide some clarification.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Tenerife
Tenerife
Canary Islands, Spain
Walsall, United...
Level Contributor
2,499 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Theft what should I do

Were you hurt in the mugging?

Did you get all of your belongings back?

What are you wanting to claim for?

Normally you would get a police report of the crime and send a copy of this to your insurance stating what was stolen! But I don't know about if you've had the stolen items back!

Scotland
Level Contributor
61 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Theft what should I do

I did not know I was getting anything back until after signing various forms at the police station. Some items were damaged but their value probably equates to the excess on my policy so i wont be claiming. Though I think I will be unlikely to be a victim of theft again I could be and I want to know if there is a form I should ask the police for so I could claim against my insurance.

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
1,385 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Theft what should I do

Sorry to hear this happened, hope you are OK now.

Can you tell us where this happened?

Rugeley, United...
Level Contributor
445 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Theft what should I do

Normally,all your insurance company would require is a crime number which you should have received

from the local Police.

Brian

5. Re: Theft what should I do

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 March 2014, 05:16