We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cost of living in Tenerife

Ballina, Ireland
Level Contributor
659 posts
119 reviews
Save Topic
Cost of living in Tenerife

I haven't been to the canary Islands for a very long time. I am thinking of going this year with my two little girls. However I am just wondering is it expensive? ie how much would I expect to pay for a beer,litre of milk, that sort of thing. It really isn't important but I was just wondering. I plan to book an apart hotel, so I can dine in the hotel when I am lazy, or is it quite cheap that we could dine out all the time.

tipperary
Level Contributor
1,213 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cost of living in Tenerife

It is much cheaper than here at home Biddypat :) We stayed selfcatering on both our visits to Tenerife and saw many restaurants with 3 course menus for as little as 7.95 euros . We shopped at the Mercadona supermarket and found if you bought local brands you could buy loads for what you would pay double at home .

Where children are concerned buy in all the drinks and goodies so you won't get robbed by the pool or beach . I couldn't get over how cheap the local cans and bottles of minerals were , the hubby couldn't get over how cheap the wine and beer was in the supermarket :) You can make your holiday as cheap or expensive as you wish , but we found Tenerife to be way cheaper than at home :)

Regards Deedee

up north
Level Contributor
2,077 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cost of living in Tenerife

its a lot cheaper than ireland where prices have gone sky high !! expect essentials (beer) to be very cheap compared with what you pay back home..

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
605 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cost of living in Tenerife

we found imported uk brands very expensive . we always take basics ie coffee... tea ...nibbles etc but spanish equivalent are almost as good but if you like a specific brand take it with you , breakfasts are cheap, meat can be expensive as it is a volcanic island and i have never seen any cattle grazing so most of it must be imported , dident think much of the choice of fruit got told most of that ...gets exported !!. or at least the good crops. beer/wines/spirits cheap...supermarkets vary in price but think " spar " are most expensive . its a great island ...hope you enjoy.

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
98 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cost of living in Tenerife

Like everywhere, you get what you pay for. Cheap food and drink are abundant but quality sometimes lacks and often frozen produce is used. Beer can costs as little a 1 euro a pint and as much as 5 euros for some premium imported beers. Large hypermarkets are your key if going self catering. Soft drinks, wine and beer really cheap if you buy local brands and food is the same.

Your holiday, your choice reall.

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
1,692 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cost of living in Tenerife

shopping can be the same is at home ( uk though not been back for a whiole)we think and that is in the big surpermarket,maybe a little cheaper though shopping in iceland and so on will be a lot more but not much more if only here for a week or two, the only thing will find cheaper is drink and cigs but we do not smoke, if here on hoilday eating out is a lot cheaper than at home,bring stuff from home if you are going self catering you hear that all time on here. i.e tea bags, coffee what ever you can fit in your bag.

we have family over this week and their have all sorts of goodies lol. you can eat as cheap as you like here and prices from 5 euros up for a meal and as been said 1 euro a pint.

Dok

Edited: 22 April 2013, 15:37
Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
1,545 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cost of living in Tenerife

Buy local brands, pay local prices, i.e. very cheap. HiperDino is always a good place to go shopping. Ideally an out-of-town one if you have a car.

Ballina, Ireland
Level Contributor
659 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cost of living in Tenerife

Thank you all very much.

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
1,692 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cost of living in Tenerife

looking at my shpping bill lol milk i1 ltr 0.54 cents (not fresh milk) 0.86 for fresh milk, bread 1.10 a loaf or you can buy french sticks (as the uk know them) for 0.35 for small one but you can get 3 big ones for around 1.10 water 8 ltrs 1 euros crips anything from 0.55 cents to 3 euros, butter 0.97 cent, price tea bags and coffee from home cheaper as the spanish coffee like nescafe taste different????? and so on. i shop in mercadona supermarket as i think its a little cheaper on most thing but also more variety depending where you go.

hope that helps a little.

Dok

Edited: 07 May 2013, 09:22
9. Re: Cost of living in Tenerife

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 May 2014, 07:19