We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

just back...great as usual !

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
605 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
just back...great as usual !

A great time as usual although we hadent been for almost 5 years ! we shall be back sooner next time . dident notice to many changes ...ok quite a lot of shops/bars have gone or changed hands and pdla is more pedestrian friendly now ....and guess what ?? we never got approached by any timeshare or holiday scratch card reps !! in fact we only saw one couple on a scooter trying it on , hardly any beach sellers ...still lucky lucky men & hair braiders mostly at night but they dont seem to give the " hard sell " as much as they used to . it was very quiet but were told june is the quietest time for tenerife , i suppose its before the schools finish for summer and a lot of locals now have there hols before it gets busy ?. one thing we did notice ...there are lots more beggars and folk going through the skips on side of roads !! but we never got any hassle from any of them ....a sign of the times . 3/4 mornings it was quite cloudy but by lunchtime it was sweltering everyday so for anyone going soon ...use a high factor cream ....i used a factor 20 and was only in the sun 40 mins and got burnt !! we managed to catch mikey mike at the soul suite ( hes on holiday now in uk for 2 weeks ) it was packed every night along the paz but would recomend drinking somewhere cheaper before getting there as it was 7.50 euroes for a pint & half !! we found loads of places in the afternoon doing 1euro pints and alsorts of offers till tea-time ish. All in all tenerife is still good value for money and the best thing is THE SUN IS FREE !!...lol.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
11,771 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: just back...great as usual !

Good trip report James. I told u had nothing to worry about. lol & your appts were firsts class. Yes I do like the Paz Strip. I like the hole in the wall. Good acts on.

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
605 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: just back...great as usual !

thanks hazel , such a great area to holiday i dont think we shall stray from there ....you have everthing on your doorstep could not fault it ...just trying to work out when our next visit is gonna be ...lol.

Porthcawl, United...
Level Contributor
530 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: just back...great as usual !

Surely that was not 7.50 euros for 1 and 1/2 pints drinking the local lager.

I am assuming it was a premium pint like Magners or Guinness?

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
11,771 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: just back...great as usual !

Yes James I love that area too. Closed to everything.

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
605 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: just back...great as usual !

@ carwyn99.....it was john smiths draught and half a lager ( not sure which brand ) but i suppose your paying for the entertainment to ...we just drank at cheaper places till late on then stopped in soul suite for the last hour on way back to hotel. once we realised the prices you can adjust to your own drinks but when you 1st arrive your just in holiday mode not realising how much your spending !!...lol.

Rutland UK
Destination Expert
for Tenerife
Level Contributor
11,647 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: just back...great as usual !

So pleased you had a great holiday James and thank you for your report... We are drawn back year after year ...but have now seemed to have graduated to the North of the Island ... but don't tell too many about that as they seem to think it is always cloudy and raining ! ;-)) but love getting back to the south some times and enjoyed our last holiday in January in the south , Los Cris... we also liked the west part of the island .. until the north took over !

Sylla

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
17,236 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: just back...great as usual !

James the time has gone so quickly, and you have had glorious weather, as you say a couple of mornings we have wondered would it get out but by 11.00 it was scorching. Just as a reminder have a look at this. 5.15 and still 28C in the south …servimg.com/u/f83/16/52/62/13/captur21.jpg that is why it is so good for holiday makers, warmest place on the island. 8) Did you manage to do any travelling around or did you stay put?

redqueenmusings.wordpress.com

Chester
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: just back...great as usual !

Hi,

we have not seen beggers, no one has approached us but we have seen quite a few people sleeping rough. One we have seen for about 3 years and we would leave him a bottle of water when we see him and I would ask others to do the same for the homeless, I put food and water out for the birds so why not another human. When we are leaving Tenerife we have always left our beach towels in a skip close to where they are sleeping. We can't change things but these few things help the less fortunate.

If this offends I am sorry.

Keith.

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
605 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: just back...great as usual !

@keith E ...i only pointed it out as there seems to be a lot more than when we were last there i think its a very personal thing as to what we each do to help and this really isent the place to discuss it ...but can assure you it doesent offend and we also do...our bit to help !.

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
605 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: just back...great as usual !

@aguilas...yes we did get around ...walked for bl...y miles ....lol....los chris....torvisca ....got the 477 titsa to los gigantes 8euroes return i think , it was just around an hours journey but worth it as you see more than when having to drive yourself !.. we had forgotten how hilly gigantes was but was suprised the beach bar/restaurant was closed down and how the beach is now only half the size that it was a few years back ...mainly due to rock falls and building a wall to try and catch them has halved the beach area !. it was ever so quiet which doesent bother us but it must bother the traders . we had lunch down at the harbour and was a very reasonable 8.50 euro for garlik bread and omelleto and 2 half pint drinks. we also stopped off at playa del arena on the way back which seemed to be doing more trade & quite busy. all in all we did most of the travelin that we wanted to ...but just never enough time to do it all ...but then again its better to save some for next time ...as we always say ...its a good exscuse to go back !!!...lol.