We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tap water?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Tap water?

Is tap water/ice OK to drink in Tenerife or is bottled water recommended?

cleethorpes
Level Contributor
11,540 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tap water?

It maybe wont kill you ,but there are to many mineral salts in it for non locals .Bottled is always by far the best and if your having ice make sure its bought in and not made on site from tap water ........toilet rolls are more expensive than bottled water ,if you get my drift !

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto de la Cruz, Weston-super-Mare, Tenerife
Level Contributor
3,850 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tap water?

Hi, as OLNF suggests Tenerife water is safe to drink, and I do. But it is full of minerals, some of which are in different combinations than in the UK. My wife always keeps to bottled water. Which is cheap if you buy in large bottles. 5L cost from 1,50€ in the larger supermarkets.

Ireland, UK
Level Contributor
2,514 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tap water?

Can anyone tell me what is the best brand to buy? I always bought the one with the baby on it but someone told me it had high levels of sodium ? Does anyone know if this is true ? I would have thought they would all have to be within a certain standard.

up north
Level Contributor
2,051 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tap water?

i would not drink the tap water myself, just buy the cheapest bottled stuff, well worth comparing prices as the same water can be double in some shops.

Newport, United...
Level Contributor
183 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tap water?

All depends how sensitive your stomach is I have no problems drank water in most of Europe but if in dought buy bottled cheap enough most of europes water is as clean as uks just different amount of minerals

Sunderland
Level Contributor
1,432 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tap water?

Hi

Bottled water is like most foods ,if you look close enough you will find ingredients that you do not want to eat / drink. Myself ,I just buy the biggest , cheapest bottle of water from the supermarket , and up to now I have never had any problems .

I do use tap water to clean my teeth .

Edited: 09 July 2013, 10:23
Preston, United...
Level Contributor
605 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tap water?

we find boiling tap water for tea/coffee is ok but for cold drinks use bottled.

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
1,686 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tap water?

we do buy water to drink and you can get 8L at the big supermarkets of 1 euro or hiperdino for 95 cents.

But if you are cooking are boiling it then the tap water is fine thats what we do and everyone i know dose.

Dok

Ireland, UK
Level Contributor
2,514 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tap water?

Sorry but I think the tap water in Tenerife tastes terrible in tea or coffee!

I would use it for boiling potatoes or rice ,anything I would be draining away ,but for sauces or gravy I always use the bottled water.

It smells of strong chlorine too . I can smell it strongly when I have a bath or shower and I notice it really affects my hair too !

cleethorpes
Level Contributor
11,540 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tap water?

I would agree with LA ,though not sure i would want to cook in it ! I like to add my own salt and flavouring ......

I mean its not a vast amount of money to buy bottled ,and cheaper if you buy the 10 /15 litre size and decant down to smaller bottles for the fridge ...

Pet Hate .....how silly is it that you put water into the fridge ,then use it to put in the kettle /pan for boiling ? Jeeze leave the cold stuff for cold drinks !!!

I find it affects my hair to ,so i rinse it in bottled water " COS I'M WORTH IT " ........LOL