We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Losing my U.S. passport on Tenerife.

New York
12 posts
Save Topic
Losing my U.S. passport on Tenerife.

Hello everyone, I am a U.S. Citizen planning to travel to Tenerife and i have noticed that THERE ARE NO U.S. Embassys or Consulates on the island. Closest one being in Las Palmas which claims to "not issue visas or passports but will only provide application forms for passports."

So my question is, if my passport is lost or stolen while i am in Tenerife, how will i go about returning it and getting back home for that matter?

cleethorpes
Level Contributor
11,742 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Losing my U.S. passport on Tenerife.

I would imagine it would be sorted by your offices in Main Land Spain ,the UK no longer has a consulate on Tenerife either and it "seems" to be the way it now works.However most posters on here seem to be from the Uk / Ireland maybe ask on the flight forum for the USA ...maybe more chance of getting a reply from a countryman

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
17,366 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Losing my U.S. passport on Tenerife.

No, there is no embassy or consulate on the island for us Brits either, our passports are renewed in the UK so I assume you will need to contact your embassy at home and find out what they suggest, they should also be able to give you the email / phone number of the one that is nearest and details of how they will help you.

redqueenmusings.wordpress.com

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
30,782 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Losing my U.S. passport on Tenerife.

You contact the USA embassy in Madrid....very simple !!

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
5,999 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Losing my U.S. passport on Tenerife.

A bit of a panic before the event?

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
17,366 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Losing my U.S. passport on Tenerife.

<<<A bit of a panic before the event?<<<

Better than a bit of a panic after the event and not knowing what to do about it !

redqueenmusings.wordpress.com

Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
16,267 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Losing my U.S. passport on Tenerife.

I have to confess it's not something that I've ever thought about.

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto de la Cruz, Weston-super-Mare, Tenerife
Level Contributor
3,954 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Losing my U.S. passport on Tenerife.

Hi, I always have a digital copy of my passport on my iPad, so I can always produce a copy. If your airline will allow you to fly, I would expect Tenerife police will allow you to leave. Your airline will want to be assured that US Border Agents will allow you into the US.

New York
12 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Losing my U.S. passport on Tenerife.

Thank you all very very much for your replies!

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
11,771 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Losing my U.S. passport on Tenerife.

I lost or had my passport stolen in Benidorm not sure which. Anyway I didn't need a temp passport. I just went to police station got a report & they gave me a name & number to phone the British Counsilet & they told me I could fly with a peace of paper to allow me to fly. Don't know if Tenerife is diff or not.

Airdrie, United...
Level Contributor
155 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Losing my U.S. passport on Tenerife.

Hi Bob - good for you getting prepared, but if you hire a safe in your hotel and keep your valuables in there and do not carry your passport around with you then you should hopefully have no worries.