We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rocketing Prices

Glasgow
Level Contributor
63 posts
122 reviews
Save Topic
Rocketing Prices

Anyone else noticed that the cost of flights to/from Tenerife (and the other Canary islands) along with hotel prices have gone up significantly? My wife & I usually go for just over a week in October/November, however this year the cost of a holiday to Tenerife (or Gran Canaria) is looking like it'll be several hundred pounds more!

Example of this, a few weeks ago 6 nights (sea view room, half-board) at the Gran Tacande from 30th October - 5th November was £990, when I checked yesterday it was £1262!!

I know things go up in price, but I can't help questioning if the unrest in Egypt means that the Canary islands have no short-haul competition, hence the reason they can get away with charging more??

Edited: 15 August 2013, 20:17
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
10,994 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rocketing Prices

Maybe your right with the Egypt situation.

But I find that by being prepared and booking well in advance gets you a good deal. My new year flights and accommodation this year were cheaper than last new year.

I've also just booked flights for nov, going out for £44 with flythomas cook 6.00pm flights, but i'll live with that, flying back with Ryanair £60 6.00am but it's just like reversing the times, i'm very happy with that.

So there are bargains still out there to be had.

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
605 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rocketing Prices

http://www.skyscanner.net/

these are sometimes cheapest...worth a try

Falkirk, United...
Level Contributor
329 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Rocketing Prices

Ive looked at glasgow to tenerife for 5 nights 27th oct for 5 nights 491 for 2 adults only thing flight goes back into edinburgh

Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
17,119 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rocketing Prices

Try looking at booking your flights and hotel separately. I too use the Gran Tacande and book either through their website or www.venere.com.

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
17,544 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rocketing Prices

Tuesday a friend of mine booked a week end Sept for 102 GBP return but he had to fly from Gatwick instead of his normal E Mids, so you may have to be a bit more flexible as to dates or airports to get cheaper flights

redqueenmusings.wordpress.com

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
605 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rocketing Prices

best price i could find = skyscanner = easyjet £198 pp return. 1st nov 1 week

Edited: 15 August 2013, 21:11
Preston, United...
Level Contributor
605 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rocketing Prices

sorry forgot to add ...from manchester airport

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
10,994 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rocketing Prices

james try Ryanair from Liverpool, they have some ok deals.

or flythomas cook.

up north
Level Contributor
2,081 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rocketing Prices

egypt has been a non starter for few yrs now and the prices did shoot up when things went belly up a few yrs ago.

10. Re: Rocketing Prices

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2014, 05:18