We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sorry, another car hire question

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,158 posts
237 reviews
Save Topic
sorry, another car hire question

Last year my car rental booking at TFS was sabotaged by a booking with Auto Europe, masquerading as being with Record but actually being with Gold Car. Apart from other issues the queue was phenomenal, and it was about 55 mins before we got to the head of the line.

I'm after a short queuing time, without a vastly expensive car. Low headline rates don't interest me much since I've found the end result after adding on this and that doesn't usually make it cheaper,

So, I'm looking at Auto Reisen and Cicar. Cicar looks good, but I recall they all say "CICAR" on the side, and I'm not hugely keen on that.

Has anyone recent experience of queuing times, of experiences with either of the above or any other recommendations for renting, please?

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
605 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sorry, another car hire question

autoreisen are the best ....see other threads for details as its been posted many times.

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,158 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sorry, another car hire question

I've used AutoReisen in the past and also had huge queues with them . No car problem, though.

I think they're part of TUI, so it may depend on what flight has just landed.

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
1,543 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sorry, another car hire question

I really liked http://en.canarias.com/

Good prices, and friendly. Don't see why you'd be against having CiCar written on the car, not a problem for anyone else. Just like driving a company car.

Autoreisen are very good, however they're used by Thomson, and all the other TUI companies across Europe, so can get quite busy.

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,158 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sorry, another car hire question

well, in the past Canary Islands police targeted hire car drivers more than locals. Allegedly.

Helensburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sorry, another car hire question

Re Autoreisen and the queues, I've always found that it pays for one of the party to wait at the baggage carousel, while the named driver goes to the desk to register and collect car keys.

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,158 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sorry, another car hire question

good idea.

Dorset
Level Contributor
20 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: sorry, another car hire question

Got back last week, having used AutoReisen -chosen because of this Forum.

I'm with Johnboy - I collected the keys while my wife waited for the case from the carousel. I could see her from the office. Two staff on duty, only one person in the queue, ( I guess because everyone else on the flight was at the carousel).

Most people take a few pics of any obvious scratches on the car, and maybe the mileage on the clock, but in all honesty, they took the car back on my word that I'd filled a quarter tank.

Absolutely painless.

8. Re: sorry, another car hire question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2014, 05:22