We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

storms forcast

england
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
storms forcast

Tenerife Magazine

In the last hour the Gobierno (Canarian Government) has issued a Maximun Alert from tomorrow Tuesday from 3pm in the 4 western islands, El Hierro, La Gomera, La Palma, and Tenerife. Strong winds and heavy rain, schools will all close at 3pm, some in the smaller islands have already decided not to open at all. Be very careful.

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
12,070 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: storms forcast

Just saw this reported on Facebook too. Can't believe that you're having such dreadful weather out there. Hope everyone is sensible and does what they are told and stay indoors. Be safe everyone.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
10,240 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: storms forcast

<<Its blowing a gale here >>

text message from my mate who's staying in palm beach, she sent this about an hour ago.

Ireland, UK
Level Contributor
2,542 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: storms forcast

The trouble is CJ when you're staying in Tenerife and there's a storm the likelihood is you have no TV signal so you have no idea of the warnings not to venture out.

This has happened us a couple of times .

Once we went to Santa Cruz and were very lucky to get back to the south before serious flooding started.

We had another similar experience with a red alert for strong winds.

Unless you have access to wifi you are more or less on your own especially if you're staying in an apartment.

I hope the weather clears soon for everyone as Tenerife doesn't cope well with heavy rain and storms ,

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,070 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: storms forcast

I'm assuming that people have radios and there are reports put out on there too in English and Spanish at least? Personally, when the weather was bad here in the UK (although not as bad where I live as was forecast elsewhere!) I took the advice and stayed home just in case.

Hope the bad weather doesn't last too long and that everyone keeps dry and warm.

Ireland, UK
Level Contributor
2,542 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: storms forcast

We did have radio CJ but the signal on that was terrible . Apparently there was some sort of attempt to block the English radio stations,

However I put my hand up to not speaking Spanish so I have no right to expect to have any warnings given in English. After all there would be no Spanish warnings here on our tv in the UK !

But I'm just making the point that it can be quite dangerous.

In travel brochures the Canaries are always given as all year sunshine and although it is nearly always warmer than the Uk they can get some very bad weather in the winter months and I think people should be aware of that.

But I agree with you I hope it clears soon.

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,070 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: storms forcast

You're right, everyone thinks that the Canaries (and the Costa Del Sol for that matter!) are always sunny and warm! I think if I were going to go to either place at the moment I would just pack layers and buy a brolley when I'm there, just in case!

I do feel sorry, not only for the people who have their holidays spoiled by the bad weather, but especially for the residents who's livelihoods could be affected by any damage the storm causes.

Puerto de la Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Tenerife
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: storms forcast

To be fair to the authorities there are usually always warnings in advance with very detailed advice regarding what to expect. There are up to the minute updates on social media streams like Twitter and on facebook and the Canary Island and individual islands put out press releases regarding the situation.

Most of it is in Spanish though which is why many non-speaking Spanish have to wait for it from English speaking sources and why a lot of it can be second hand (sometimes rumour rather than fact) and not always 100% accurate.

Puerto de la Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Tenerife
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: storms forcast

'many non-speaking Spanish' - that should be 'non Spanish speakers :)

Rutland UK
Destination Expert
for Tenerife
Level Contributor
11,635 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: storms forcast

We have been back now just a week staying in the north , but although it was cloudy almost every day it was very warm and I never needed a jacket /cardigan .. One day we did have a calima and that was hot .. the last day we had a lot of rain all day , but it seems we were lucky compared to the south as they had floods .. I think Teide kept the worst back from us this time ! ;-))

I have never known it to be quite so cloudy for a whole 3 weeks before !

Sylla

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
1,687 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: storms forcast

we are now on red alert www.aemet.es/es/eltiempo/prediccion/avisos…