We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this a genuine charity?

Ireland, UK
Level Contributor
2,442 posts
103 reviews
Save Topic
Is this a genuine charity?

We were having dinner last night in El Ancla in Callao last night and had dinner interrupted three times

One by a looky looky man who we just smiled at and said no thank you and that wasn't a problem as he just. Moved on but twice by deaf people collecting.

One demonstrated his rubbish he was selling for a euro and the other was leaving envelopes with some type of religious drawings on it.

When he returned and we shook our heads for no he proceeded to kiss and squeeze our hands as a sort of " I don't mind even if you are miserable ****" " !

Maybe we should just give a couple of euros to them ?

Someone once told me that they can only rely on charity in Tenerife as there is no such thing as a disability allowance and then other people have said it's all a con ?

To be honest this sort of collecting annoys me more than the looky looky men .

The restaurant is far from cheap and I was quite surprise it allowed this .

Anyone any ideas or are we being mean ?

Edited: 23 March 2014, 09:38
north west england
Level Contributor
1,692 posts
366 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is this a genuine charity?

Spain has a well developed social security system. That said, being deaf certainly does not make you incapable of working and many with the disability are employed. However, I wouldnt be surprised to learn that Spain's anti-discrimination laws are not as well developed as some other EU countries so it may be that disabled people find it even harder to get work than they might elsewhere.

I suspect we all form our own views about whether we want to give to charities or, indeed, to people begging on the street. I'd be less inclined to do so when I'm eating dinner.

Callao Salvaje...
Level Contributor
51 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is this a genuine charity?

Hi we live in Callao. Yes they do come and put stuff on your table then come back to get it. Some of it is rubbish but some stuff has been great. In the past we have bought a clock temperature thing which is still going strong in my sons bedroom, an LED torch and some other bits.

Is it legal. Sorry I have no idea.

My opinion, it they look like they need a euro more than I am gonna miss it. Give it to them.

Everyone's opinion is going to be different and I can see how annoying it may be sometimes whilst you are having dinner.

All the ones I have met have been polite, it is generally the same people.

Ireland, UK
Level Contributor
2,442 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is this a genuine charity?

Thanks for your views ,maybe we should have given ,but I think it was the fact that we were trying to eat dinner and had three interruptions . I think it's different in a pub .

Deaf or not, it's not great manners when people are eating .

I think that's partly the managements fault too.

Corralejo, Spain
Destination Expert
for Corralejo
Level Contributor
4,516 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is this a genuine charity?

I believe deaf people find it very hard to get work in the Canaries - with 30+% unemployment, employers can pick and choose and the anti-discrimination laws aren't enforced strictly.

We're residents of Corralejo, Fuerteventura and we're of the same opinion as the Callao resident - some of the stuff they sell is great: we have torches, clock/radio/weather station gadgets, some Xmas decorations... We see them in the bars, but I don't think they've ever been into a restaurant and I think I'd have a word with the owner about it if it happened to me as that really isn't the place.

Ireland, UK
Level Contributor
2,442 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is this a genuine charity?

Thanks Shelia ,at least I know now it is genuine and I will have a look at what they sell.

But I think we're all in agreement it shouldn't be happening in restaurants.

I didn't realise either that the anti discrimination laws weren't enforced in Spain .

I will be more sympathetic next time.

Edited: 24 March 2014, 06:48
Callao Salvaje...
Level Contributor
51 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is this a genuine charity?

Ohhh sorry a bit off topic. We are going to Corralejo again for our hols this year. Staying at Golf Villas. Cannot wait.

7. Re: Is this a genuine charity?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 March 2015, 04:16