We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dont use Hertz or Thrifty at Tenerife South

Brighton and Hove...
Level Contributor
1 post
84 reviews
Save Topic
Dont use Hertz or Thrifty at Tenerife South

Used Thrify deal pre paid on line which is part of Hertz. What they dont tell you is when you arrive they want another 100 euro or more to cover your "Excess" of 600 euro, which they take a "deposit" for off your credit card. That means who;le holiday you are dead scared of anything going wrong and nervous about getting scratched, etc in car park. Use Auto Reisen much better attitude.

Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dont use Hertz or Thrifty at Tenerife South

Quite right! we've experienced the same Yesterday and the attitude wound us up more than the cost when he tried to explain why. Approached the desk after a 4 hour flight. Car booked online with rentalcar.com top up added to ensure CDW FULL COVER for a trouble free holiday. Fully paid in uk on Credit card. We've now left them with another €800 on the same credit card. Like you now fretting about the security of my credit card no: and whilst not frightened about the car it's taken the pleasure out of driving.

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
3 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dont use Hertz or Thrifty at Tenerife South

Hertz Tenerife is the worst company I have had a "pleasure" to deal with so far in my life. The one based in South Tenerife airport makes a very bad name for the whole Hertz company and I am going to send an official letter to their HQ. Few things to mention:

- check in took over 1.5 hours! Arrived at 17:15 to leave the airport at 19:25. Spent almost two hours in the line waiting for the goofy counter chatting with each customer for one reason: to sell the additional insurance at about 13 euro a day! Most of the people were so irritated and tired that were ready to sign anything to just get out of this hell. Some people had very little kids with them and waiting in the line was killing. Cicar rent and others located next to Hertz were very efficient, no lines as all was done within 2-3 minutes per customer. No sales pitches trying to rip customers off. When my turn came I was very straightforward to the guy saying that he is wasting my time and time of other customers. These people are very unprofessional.

- I finally got keys. I asked what is a parking slot number to be told that my car is parked somewhere outside the usual parking. I went looking for it and after about 20 minutes I went back to Hertz completely irritated. I asked to refund me in full as I do not want to use their services any more. The guy to me to some parking outside the main one to show me a car parked. I was not allowed to cancel my rent even though I am extremely upset with Hertz customer care and did not want to spend my money there.

- I drove a car from the airport to park in a closed garage. I did not drive it at all after that except my way back to the airport. A lady came to inspect and told me that there is some "new" scratch on the car. It was on a back like if anyone drove into the car from the back. I was just laughing. It look like a complete insurance fraud. I told lady that i did not drive a car so this scratch could not happened during my rental period. But she was just one of those Spanish "mananas". I had full insurance so did not pay a single cent for this scratch but I hope my insurance company will do a full investigation on those Hertz employees and I sincere hope that this company will go bankrupt one day. I will open a bottle a champagne when it happens.

In any case they lost a customer for the lifetime. Be bad, Hertz!

3. Re: Dont use Hertz or Thrifty at Tenerife South

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2015, 05:16