We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Abama or Sheraton

Birmingham
Level Contributor
381 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Abama or Sheraton

My family are visiting Tenerife for the first time in August - myself, my husband and our adult son and daughter - early 20s. We're looking for a 'chilled' week, perhaps a little bit of golf and exploring, but essentially some down time in the sun, but with things to do when (inevitably!) my husband gets bored!

We have got reservations at the Abama, but I'm a little concerned by some of the reviews, and also the fact that there will inevitably be lots of children during August. That's fine, but as we can't run to the 'adult only' rooms, I am a little concerned that there will be nowhere to escape. Also, there seems to be no advantage in staying there insofar as the green fees are concerned.

The Sheraton seems to have better reviews and the prices are better.

I would be grateful if anyone could give me their opinion, if they have knowledge/experience of either of these resorts.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
9,771 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Abama or Sheraton

But I don.t understand who you are trying to escape from?

Edited: 30 July 2014, 13:35
Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
16,818 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Abama or Sheraton

Sheraton (Big Mac) v Abama (Fillet Steak). IMO these two hotels are in totally different leagues the only thing I would have against the Abama is its location you can´t escape unless you have a hire car as it is in the middle of nowhere.

I have just looked at the reviews and find some of the comments - criticism of using Spanish salt and pepper, non-residents expecting to use hotel transport to and from beach and children playing IMO using these to mark down is laughable.

redqueenmusings.wordpress.com

Ireland, UK
Level Contributor
2,438 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Abama or Sheraton

We stayed in the Sheraton and have visited the Abama but I much prefer the

Sheraton .

I think comparing it to a Big Mac is a bit unfair ,

It's a lovely hotel with the most comfortable beds I have ever slept on (the Sheraton bed group)

The grounds are immaculate and the sunbeds are very comfortable too.

You can walk easily into the fishing village of La Caletta or walk along the promenade towards Adeje .

Abama is beautiful too ,but it is very isolated .

Edited: 30 July 2014, 16:23
Helensburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,186 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Abama or Sheraton

First time I have seen a post referring to Alabama. We have often passed it on route to Playa San Juan and beyond. Is it open to non residents? If it is, we will certainly visit on our next trip. Incidentally, does it remind anyone else of a set from Star Wars.........or is it just me? lol

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
16,818 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Abama or Sheraton

Johnboy, I have looked at the MB restaurant and while it looked superb this OAP could not afford the lunch menu! Anyone can go in and despite what they say the beach isn´t private but unless you are staying at the hotel you cannot use the lift, so you have to park at the top and take the dirt track down the side to reach it. And yes you are not alone - J and I always refer to it as something from Star Wars.

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
16,818 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Abama or Sheraton

This article scotsman.com/lifestyle/travel/travel-abama-t… on the Abama has recently appeared in 'The Scotsman'

Birmingham
Level Contributor
381 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Abama or Sheraton

We've settled on the Abama - thank you for all of your imput. The article you linked to Aguilas was very helpful.

Helensburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,186 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Abama or Sheraton

Please let us know how the trip went.

Birmingham
Level Contributor
381 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Abama or Sheraton

Just seen your comment Johnboy - sorry for late response! It was just OK. Adult pool was brilliant and the service there good. The bars in the hotel were very quiet - several not open during what I would have thought was prime holiday time.

Lots of children - as expected - but sadly lots of parents who seemed happy to release them into the wild, while they got on with their holidaying. Been there, understand the temptation, but not fair on those of us who have to deal with packs of children chasing around the hotel and grounds!

Overall comment on design of hotel, presumably to shield the rooms and common areas from the sun, it is quite a dark feel to the corridors and some of the restaurants.

Have to say, we won't be rushing back!

10. Re: Abama or Sheraton

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2016, 06:18