We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tenerife- Playa Americas v Puerto Cruz....or elsewhere

Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Topic
Tenerife- Playa Americas v Puerto Cruz....or elsewhere

Looking for some advice.....

I am going on holiday with three friends- all single blokes in in our early 30s- in late Sept (2014). Essentially what I a looking for is somewhere quiet during the day where you can relax by the pool and then at night enjoy a busy nightlife.

Likes: Folk in their late 20s too late 30s, late night bars with live music, DJs playing classic pop hits

Dislikes: Dance music, bars full of folk under 25/ over 45

I am worried Playa de las Americas will be full of teens/early 20s/ vomiting/ fighting ala Ayia Napa/ Magaluf.

The concern over Puerto de la Cruz will be full of couples/ Spanish and too quiet.

Not married to the idea of going to Tenerife so other suitable suggestions welcome...

Crystals Palace
Bars & Clubs, Karaoke Bars, Comedy Clubs
Tramps The King Of Clubs
Bars & Clubs, Karaoke Bars, Dance Clubs & Discos
Showtime Live
Dinner Theatres, Comedy Clubs, Performances
Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
17,542 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tenerife- Playa Americas v Puerto Cruz....or elsewhere

I think you are a bit confused about Tenerife nowhere other than a tiny area called Veronicas Strip is anything like Ayia Napa/ Magaluf.

In the south, during the day, you will be able to spend a quiet relaxing time around a nice pool depending on what hotel you choose. If you choose the cheap end of the market, close to Veronicas, then expect it to be full of teens as this is all they can afford and they will probably also be enjoying cheap booze in AI. If however you choose middle of the road there are many places that would fit the bill.

In PdlA whilst you find SOME clubs full of vomiting teens and early 20s, (Veronicas Strip as mentioned above) there are many upmarket clubs where you get a totally different set of people. These range from the 20s and 30s residents as well as holidaymakers, they are based on cocktail bars and tend to play a mix of Latino music as well as the sort of thing you are looking for. These aren´t the cheapest of clubs but again you get what you pay for.

Moving north, Puerto does attract more Spanish than Brits but there are also other nationalities such as Russian or German. Also if you like the gay scene you will find more of this in Puerto than in the south. The late night clubs/bars don't start until midnight but I doubt you will find classic pop unless you are into Spanish pop and of course the DJs are Spanish too.

I don´t know about the hotels as I only ever stay in the Monopol where anyone under 60 is a youngster.

redqueenmusings.wordpress.com

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto de la Cruz, Weston-super-Mare, Tenerife
Level Contributor
4,065 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tenerife- Playa Americas v Puerto Cruz....or elsewhere

Hi

September is one of the quieter months. Families and younger people have returned to school and university, and the longer term winter visitors have not yet arrived. However that does not mean, everywhere is closed. Tenerife is a year round holiday island. The weather is still very warm, long days on the beach or around the pool.

The main holiday resorts are in the south. Here you will find the water parks, boat trips, nightclubs etc. Puerto on the northern coast, is a little more relaxed, very popular with the Spanish from the mainland, as well as Europeans. Puerto is a local Canarian town as well as the original resort. Has a lovely 3 bay beach, sea front lido complex, and home to the world famous Loro Park.

Rutland UK
Destination Expert
for Tenerife
Level Contributor
11,787 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tenerife- Playa Americas v Puerto Cruz....or elsewhere

Hi Tom .... Take a look at this thread Katie is not old by any means ,, and freeman (not sure) young at heart I think ;-) ? and they are both in Puerto right now ...

tripadvisor.co.uk/…60972141

Tenerife can be anything you want it to be .. and Aguilas has already given you the "low down" on Veronicas ,, if you blink when passing it , you could miss it ...

The south and the north are quite different , the south being mostly a purpose built resort with the exception of Los Cristianos which although is also now built up still has a soul with it's Church square .. and some good bars and restaurants , plus the harbour where fresh fish is brought in daily and you can get your sea trips from there .. Here is a map of the south and you will see it is all joined up from Cristianos to El Duque with a lovely long promenade with plenty of entertainment / Restaurants and bars all along .. El Duque being the more up market area .. but still the other parts mixed with lovely areas and Hotels...

tenerifetravel.com/maps/southtenerife_large.…

Puerto de la Cruz quite different .. more character but with still lots of modern hotels aswell as the old typical Canarian ones .. Lots of lovely old balcony buildings .. very good restaurants / bars and the Canarians don't venture out until late , so that is when the night clubs come to life ..

Easy to get to the capital Santa Cruz by bus and well worth a visit ..

There is the West of the Island too , but I won't go into that as it is really quite quiet , and I don't think it would suit you ..

Sylla

4. Re: Tenerife- Playa Americas v Puerto Cruz....or elsewhere

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2015, 06:16