We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bad news for Puerto de la Cruz

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
17,533 posts
149 reviews
Save Topic
Bad news for Puerto de la Cruz

A couple of months ago I mentioned that several hotels in Puerto were going to close for the summer as it had been very quiet. As things start to get back to normal here in the south, we assume that they are doing the same in the north of the island, but it appears that that is not the case.

Attached link to News in the Sun, - Hotel Occupancy in Puerto de la Cruz ´A Disaster´

http://newsinthesun.com/?p=2817

Puerto de la Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Tenerife
Level Contributor
1,614 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bad news for Puerto de la Cruz

I've read the piece in the News in the Sun and I suspect there are political shenanigans going on. Some people in the town are talking 'down' any success and 'up' any bad news for their own political gain.

It's like Albert Square around here sometimes...but with better weather LOL

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto de la Cruz, Weston-super-Mare, Tenerife
Level Contributor
4,023 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bad news for Puerto de la Cruz

Here in the UK the resession is easing, travel agents are reporting brisk trade. Bristol have submitted extension plans, to increase flights by 40%. And although not all this extra trade will come to Tenerife, so clearly will. Ryanair have introduces a new winter service from Bristol, I booked flights last week for this November at £108 return. This is more than half the price of March.

As we all know Tenerife is a fine holiday island, it will soon pick up, at least the improvements in Puerto will make it a better resort than it was last year, all the visitor reviews on this forum have been positive.

Rutland UK
Destination Expert
for Tenerife
Level Contributor
11,705 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bad news for Puerto de la Cruz

Just wait till winter ...where else can you go for sun so near by and Puerto with all it's character ...I myself never think of going on holiday away from the UK in our uuhmmm! lovely summers !!! and contrary to believe we have been lucky in Rutland with the weather ...even with the rain ( which hasn't been that much in this area) it has always been warm.....

Come the winter and those "swallows" will be swarming in I'm sure ....!

Sylla

Puerto de la Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Tenerife
Level Contributor
1,614 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bad news for Puerto de la Cruz

With a couple of newspaper reports making Puerto de la Cruz sound as though visitors are more likely to find tumbleweed on the town's streets than other people I thought I'd post a link to a couple of sets of photos taken this weekend so that you could see what Puerto's really like at the moment.

flickr.com/photos/…

flickr.com/photos/…

Rutland UK
Destination Expert
for Tenerife
Level Contributor
11,705 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bad news for Puerto de la Cruz

Aaawwwh !!! thanks Gusto .....well that's certainly hit that one on the head then LOL! really lovely photos and so clear......

Infact it looks a bit too crowded (only joking)can't wait now to get there and show it all off to my brother and his wife...be there in October !

Sylla

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
17,533 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bad news for Puerto de la Cruz

I am so ´chuffed´ to see these on here, thank you Gusto.

That´s a funny word, wonder where that came from? chuff, chuffed, chuffy, who was chuffy??? I haven´t a clue - does anyone know LOL

glasgow
Level Contributor
336 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bad news for Puerto de la Cruz

Thank you for smashing pictures of people enjoying themselves in Puerto........made me a bit homesick.

Roll on new year when we will visit again.

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto de la Cruz, Weston-super-Mare, Tenerife
Level Contributor
4,023 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bad news for Puerto de la Cruz

Hi, lovely photos can't wait to come back.

Helensburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,223 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bad news for Puerto de la Cruz

Nice photo's Gustovino and just goes to show there's life yet!!!

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
17,533 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bad news for Puerto de la Cruz

It´s a shame there isn´t an edit button so the title of this thread could be changed to GOOD news. Here´s a little bit more in this mornings Island Connections.

islandconnections.eu/1000003/1000043/0/25656…

Just spent ages searching to see if Gusto had any photos of the Lido on Flickr but couldn´t see any. If you have GV please give us a link.

Get answers to your questions about Puerto de la Cruz