We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay????

Essex
Level Contributor
501 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay????

I am looking at the possibity of a visit to Puerto De la Cruz for 3 weeks next July. Can anyone advise where to stay in the town to be near beach, cafes etc? We are hoping to locate an appartment and don't want to have to drive anywhere.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,416 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay????

Hi Buzziewine

Although we go half board in one of the hotels on the outskirts of PDLC the one appartment complex that does seem to get great reports is the Apartamentos Casablanca, it could be worthwhile taking a look at the reviews on TA for these as it seems the only major {if you can call it that is the fact that it is a bit hilly but it is close to both cafes, shops, and 15 mins walk to the beach

I hope others will come in and suggest other places but {for me} this seems to get the best overall reviews

Hope this helps

Sparhawk1

Essex
Level Contributor
501 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay????

Thanks. Out of interest where do you normally go half board? I had considered this but so many places get mixed reviews for food that I was anxious about commiting to half board in case it proved to be a waste of money. On the other hand if you are staying for 3 weeks as we are you could spend an awful lot on eating out in different restarants every night.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,416 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay????

Hi Buzziewine

We stay at Puerto Palace hotel it is around 1.6 kilometres from the beach but they do have a free bus to take you into town and back again {although the walk to the beach is not bad and a cab back costs about 3 euros} We have been using the same hotel twice a year since 1999 {both Summer and winter} and find that even with the cost of half board it does give us the choice to eat at the hotel or go into town for a meal if we choose to. I think that way it doe give the best of both worlds.

Bar prices in thehotel are a bit high so we normally buy a few cans or bottles of wine and use the mini bar {free} to have drinks on hand if we want them

The hotel is just on the edge of the residentual area so you do get a good nights sleep and overall we have not been able to fault the food

I know that everyone has their own idea of good food and good accomadation but over the years of using the hotel we have never been disapointed by anything to do with the hotel

Hope this helps

Sparhawk1

Rutland UK
Destination Expert
for Tenerife
Level Contributor
11,667 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay????

Hi Buzzie ....

I see we have persuaded you to explore a little more Puerto......here is a street map also giving the position of hotels and apts......

www.islas.co.uk/puerto_de_la_cruz_map.htm

you will see the Puerto Palace where Sparhawk stays......We stay at the San Filipe which is a high rise hotel ...a bit off putting I know, but very pleasant when you enter inside and the rooms are spotless and comfortable with lovely views of either the Teide or the sea...it is right on the sea front ....and an easy and pleasant walk into the main town centre......

Food is not the best I have had ...but then I have been spoiled by another hotel we stay at in November in the Gigantes area.......food is a personal choice and there is a vast choice to choose from so we manage.....but the price we pay for the hotel for two weeks half board is not much more than an apt.....

so we will escape from time to time to eat out as there are some very good restaurants ....

The Casablanca apts, Sparhawk mentions does get very good reviews and although it is a bit hilly to get to, it is not far from the sea front, and remember the up hill is only one way...the other way is down !!!!! and it is very central.....

I hope some of our other posters who stay in Puerto will be on to help you out with accommodation...the forum is always a bit quiet at the weekend .....when we are having nice weather in the UK ..!!!

Sylla

Essex
Level Contributor
501 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay????

Thanks for all your help. My main aim is to get somewhere where it's not too much trouble to walk to the old part of Puerto De La Cruz where the square and the fishing harbour is. I love places with a bit of character. We have spent 10 years touring France and are worn out driving so have decided to start having more relaxing holidays.

I did discover an apartment in Palmeras Playa in Avenida Venezuela but then having looked at reviews it seems the block is a bit noisy and we really want our peace and quiet. I know we want a miaracle. Peace and quiet and yet not too far to walk to things. I'm a light sleeper and really need it to be quiet at night.

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto de la Cruz, Weston-super-Mare, Tenerife
Level Contributor
3,954 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay????

Hi, I suggest you look at the many hotels in or close to to Taoro Parque, these would include the Puerto Palace, but also look at Tenerife Palace, San Antonio, Tigaiga and Miramar. Taoro Parque is a lovely shady open park just above and overlooking the old town and bay. It would have the advantage of attracting a breeze during the hot summer. It is about a ten minute walk down into the old town, but perhaps a taxi back. The are also a number of hotels on or close to the sea front including the San Felipe and my parents favorite the Oratave Palace. I suggest you consider B&B so as to eat out at one of the many good local restaurants in Puerto or opt for the hotel if you have been out all day. The are two beaches in Puerto. The larger Playa Jardin with good facilities including a buffet restaurant for lunch, which is about a 20 minute walk from Taoro Parque or the smaller rocky one mainly used by surfers over looked by the hotel San felipe at the other. In the centre and on the sea front is the award winning sea-water lido.

Rutland UK
Destination Expert
for Tenerife
Level Contributor
11,667 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay????

Buzzie ....to answer your sleeping problem ......

We slept very well at the San Filipe ..I requested our room to over look the pool and Mount Teide (sunny side) they do say the sea view on the other side of the hotel is noisy because there is the road on that side and the sea crashing on the rocks ......but the view of Teide was lovely to wake up to in the morning and see the different cloud formations around it......

If you do decide on Puerto ...don't miss the Orchid Garden ( Sitio Litre) the Botanical Gardens and the water garden (Risco Bella) near Taora and as Ricky has mentioned the Loro Park .....oh! and just a short drive 10 to 15 minutes El Monasterio an old Monastery made into several restaurants with the most wonderful views....look all these up on google ......and don't forget the short bus trip to Orotava and Los Balcons a beautifully preserved old Canarian house with a museum and shop selling canarian crafts......

Sylla

Essex
Level Contributor
501 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay????

Thanks. Still sifting through everything. The hotel Monopole looks very characterful but reviews on it seem mixed. Any of you experts been to this hotel at all??

Rutland UK
Destination Expert
for Tenerife
Level Contributor
11,667 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay????

Buzzie ..It will be noisy as it is right in the centre and I read on the reveiws that it is so .....It does look so charming .....Poster Aguilas has stayed there but only for a weekend which is a bit different from 3 weeks.....may be you could manage for a day or two with no sleep ! but not 3 weeks LOL! .....she has put a review ....and most of the the reviews as you say are a bit mixed ....

Sylla

10. Re: Where to stay????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 March 2010, 07:22
Get answers to your questions about Puerto de la Cruz