We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just Back ! and wishing I wasn't!!!

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
236 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Just Back ! and wishing I wasn't!!!

Got back from lovely puerto in the early hours. Arrived on Tues 7th to thick cloud in the south which was all the way to the north. Hardly saw another cloud all week in Puerto save for a little on Sunday late afternoon when we were leaving Playa Jardin. Was lovely sunshine all week, a bit windy on Monday but still sunny and spent the day at the lido. Left Puerto in blazing sunshine yesterday afternoon and got cloudier the further south we went! I am sure the weather debate will continue but I have to say we have been five times at this time of year and always had lovely sunny weather - it turns cool in the evenings so you need a fleece/shawl. Stayed at the Luabay which is an ok hotel - would stay again - lovely rooms and friendly and helpful staff, but prefer the San Felipe (which was much more expensive )(will do a review). Went to Icod on the bus had a nice morning there and lunch in a lovely little hotel (forget the name). Some lovely evenings in Plaza del Charco - La Frigata is a great bar with premium drinks at really good prices and really friendly staff

The Herb and Spice shop on Calle La Hoya has now moved to Plaza del Charco, next to the Pharmacy. Not sure if this is permanent or because of the roadworks. The roadworks are a nuisance I am sure it will make things better when they are finished. Missed the harbourside cafe with the paella/fish cooking - there is another further along but not sure if it is the same one as no big paella pan there...........

Went to the municipal market/car boot on Saturday - wouldn't bother again personally. The artisan market in Plaza Europa on Sunday was quite nice and would go again.

Saturday night ate out in the evening wanted Mil Sabores or Regulo - didn't book and I know I should have done because both were full so, ate at Papaya in the same area which was lovely and the staff were very pleasant - and quite a lot cheaper - would go again. This area has some lovely restaurants I think it is called the Ranilla district.

Took a taxi to La Paz area for a little shopping and a coffee at the viewing point then walked back via Martianez shopping centre.

Plenty of wave watching, walking, eating and drinking. It is very cheap to eat out and have drinks in puerto and taxis to get you back when you have had too many of the said drinks are cheap and plentiful too! All in all a great holiday. I can't believe how busy it was too - the busiest I have ever seen it. To all of you thinking of going to Puerto go - you will enjoy it and i will be envious!

Rutland UK
Destination Expert
for Tenerife
Level Contributor
11,637 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just Back ! and wishing I wasn't!!!

Awh ! Susie , so sad for you LOL ! but happy that you had such a good time ... a really good report and I was with you all the way ! ;-) picturing everything you wrote about !

Can't wait to get back to Puerto ...may be March ?

Sylla

Cumbria
Level Contributor
16 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just Back ! and wishing I wasn't!!!

Sounds lovely. I am counting down to 9th Feb. Especially with the weather as grim as it is at home at the moment, the idea of being somewhere where you only need a fleece in the evening is fatastic - I can't wait!

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,416 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just Back ! and wishing I wasn't!!!

Hi Sue

Sounds as if you had a grat time :0) I wish we had have been in Puerto as well but good things come to those that wait...lol. Hope you managed to get your Saffron and that the pool towels got sorted out ok. I know it is a pain returning home after a good holiday but you have the memories on these long cold winter nights to think back on and remember that soon you will be getting ready to return to "the island of dreams".

The weather debate will be going on long after we have moved on but like you I can only ever tell it like I find it and in the many years we have been going to Puerto I can count on both hands the times we have had any "rain" and only on one "winter break" can I say that I felt a chill and that was after dark.

I look forward to rading your review when you have the time {between washing,ironing,cooking and cleaning}...lol

WELCOME HOME

Regards

Sparhawk1

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
236 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just Back ! and wishing I wasn't!!!

Thank you for your replies - yes, we did get the saffron and you could get a pool towel 10e deposit and 2 x changes free, then you get your 10e back when you return the towel. I know both you Sparhawk and Sylla are regulars there as is Ricky and I thank you and all other members who have given me information when I have asked for it. Mrs Avocet you will enjoy I am sure and you will want to go again and again. I have already had a look at the holiday companies for prices for next year but, they are showing very expensive at the moment - I usually book in the summer when hopefully prices will be less.

Sparhawk - not doing all the washing at the moment there is no rush for it with the weather as it is here! Back to work tomorrow!

Tenerife, Spain
Destination Expert
for Tenerife, Los Cristianos
Level Contributor
1,118 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just Back ! and wishing I wasn't!!!

Friends of mine who were here staying in Santa Cruz for a month in November got so fed-up with the rain that they booked themselves into an hotel in PDLA for three nights to get away from it. The last few weeks in the south has been almost wall to wall sunshine.

http://www.teneriferambler.com/

glasgow
Level Contributor
336 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just Back ! and wishing I wasn't!!!

sunnysusie our paths must have crossed on saturday night.we we in La tulipana restaurant (facing mil sabores). it was my brthday and thought we would go there for a change since we know the chef. service was very slow and food ok. we were also in the frigata........as you say a nice bar.

ten or so more days to go and i am already depressed at the thought of the cold at home.

the sun still shines here while we have a lazy time. havent been to la paz yet Sylla there is a new french bakery at the top of the avenida....lovely

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto de la Cruz, Weston-super-Mare, Tenerife
Level Contributor
3,927 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just Back ! and wishing I wasn't!!!

Hi, great to know the weather was so nice, we are getting to go back for the end of the month.

Always look forward to looking around to see what has changed since our last visit.

The one thing that never changes is the crashing of the Atlantic rollers onto the rocks below San Telmo.

Tenerife, Spain
Destination Expert
for Tenerife, Los Cristianos
Level Contributor
1,118 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just Back ! and wishing I wasn't!!!

Having made my comments above, I should also point out that I have been walking over most of the island during this period and I can't recall walking in cloud anywhere, and that includes the north, south, east, west and Las Cañadas. It's really been a wonderful 'winter' so far. I hope I don't live to regret saying that!

http://www.teneriferambler.com/

Worthing
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Just Back ! and wishing I wasn't!!!

The hotel you had lunch at in Icod could have been the Hotel San Agustin with an internal court yard and typical Canarian wooden balconies. We stayed there for 3 nights in November and was lovely, we were the only residents most of the time.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
236 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just Back ! and wishing I wasn't!!!

pjaallan you are right it was! The service was lovely as was the surroundings and the food too - my cousin picked up their little brochure but at the time I posted I had not spoken to her to remind me.

And melm we were there for my birthday (which was early, its today) and looked at that one but decided on la papaya!

Enjoy the rest of your stay.