We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving at the end of August.

UK
Level Contributor
209 posts
139 reviews
Save Topic
Arriving at the end of August.

Hubby and I are due to come to Puerto de la Cruz at the end of the month to stay at the Riu Garoe hotel half board (Our first time in Tenerife), we were wondering what the local transport is like as we would like to go to varius places on the island including Costa Adeje, La Orotava and the monkey park in Los Christianos, would we be able to get to these places by public transport or would it be better to hire a car? And how long would it take to get there? Are we asking the impossible?

The other question we have is what is available in the local area to do in the evenings, we prefer to mix with local people rather than go to british bars, we both love spanish food and tapas; we are aware the hotel entertainment is very low key, but booked it as it seemed a more adult environment.

We have never been to Tenerife before I twisted hubby's arm to go to Tenerife rather than the usual trip to Mexico, I also hope the weather is kind enough to be able to go in the pool or on the beach at some point.

Mentioned in this post
Tenerife
Tenerife
Canary Islands, Spain
Costa Adeje
Costa Adeje
Tenerife, Spain
La Orotava
La Orotava
Tenerife, Spain
Southport, United...
Level Contributor
586 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arriving at the end of August.

Firstly, local transportation is superb. Buy a BONO bus ticket and get a timetable from the bus station. The bus service is very efficient and reliable. Taxis are good value, too.

Some of the The excursions you are planning are in the southern part of the island (Los Christianos, Monkey Park). You might want to consider focussing on the northern areas for this trip. I would suggest Loro Parque, El Teide, Santa Cruz, Garanchico and La Orotava. You can easily visit the southern resorts by bus if you want, but if you are stayingin the north of the island then I suggest you take advantage of some of the lovely old towns and attractions on this part of the island.

Have a great time.

Cheers

Tommy

Mentioned in this post
Loro Parque
Loro Parque
23,568 Reviews
Tenerife, Spain
La Orotava
La Orotava
Tenerife, Spain
UK
Level Contributor
209 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arriving at the end of August.

Thanks for your response we are intending to visit around the north too, although I hadn't heard of Garanchico so I will have a look at this. Is it possible to travel to the south and get a boat back? I understand there are not any boat trips in the north of the island.

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
586 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arriving at the end of August.

You should easily manage the places you mention as a day trip. There are direct bus services between Puerto de la Cruz and Los Christianos. The direct bus takes about 90 mins. If you like animal parks you really shouldn't miss Loro Parque. This is a full day out in itself.

As far as I know, there are no boat services between the north and south of the island. Ferries from Los Christianos go to the nearby island of La Gomera. Santa Cruz is an international port with services to the other Canary Islands, North Africa and Madeira.

Cheers

Tommy

Mentioned in this post
Loro Parque
Loro Parque
23,568 Reviews
Tenerife, Spain
Madeira
Madeira
Madeira Islands, Portugal
Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto de la Cruz, Weston-super-Mare, Tenerife
Level Contributor
4,090 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arriving at the end of August.

Hi, your hotel is on the outskirts of the La Paz suburb of Puerto de la Cruz. If you turn right out of your hotel and walk a short distance you will come to the main road in and out of Puerto. On the left is the Botanical Gardens, established in the 1700 for the King of Spain. If you are interested in tropical plants from around the world, this is well worth a visit. If you turn right down this main road you have hundreds of local shops and bars. This is a predominately a German area. The local buses to all parts of the island stop here. A half hour walk down hill will bring you to the sea front and old town, where you will find shady squares with many street-side bars and restaurants.

Taxis are cheep, 5€ will bring you back to your hotel, or a local bus every half hour for just over a Euro. You can access and download a TITSA bus time table. A couple of years ago we traveled all around the island by bus, stopping off on the way, it cost us just over 15€ each. You can catch an Express bus from the main road, close to your hotel to Santa Cruz, the capital. The journey is 40 minutes. Oratava is just 10 minutes away. Catch the 350 from Oratava to the La Villa shopping centre, with all the Spanish high street stores, (closed Sundays).

We have been going to Puerto 3 times a year for many years. We love the unique local feel of the island, the plants and flowers are in full bloom all year round, shorts and tee shirts even in winter. We always find something new to do every time.

I am sure you will have a lovely holiday.

Mentioned in this post
La Paz
La Paz
130 Reviews
Tenerife, Spain
Spain
Spain
Europe
Rutland UK
Destination Expert
for Tenerife
Level Contributor
11,854 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arriving at the end of August.

Hi leggie .. As you are staying in Puerto de la Cruz , don't miss the wonderful things to see and visit in the town and near by .. As already stated .. Loro Park .. Jardin Botanico .. Then there is the Orchid Garden (Sitio Litre) just a walk or short taxi ride away from where you are staying ..

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g187481-s407/Puerto…

The lovely Taora Park where you can ( if you can find it tucked away) Alberto's Bar .. with the fantastic views .. or the El Risco Gardens and Cafe ...

In Orotava the Casa de los Balcons

www.casa-balcones.com/eng/inicio_eng.php

A very short bus ride away To El Monasterio Los Realejos ... an old monastery which has been converted into separate restaurants and the view just amazing ... Bus number 352 15 minute journey ..

Santa Cruz the capital well worth a visit ....

enjoy

Sylla

Mentioned in this post
Alberto's Bar
Alberto's Bar
146 Reviews
Tenerife, Spain
Chester
Level Contributor
2,936 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arriving at the end of August.

Hi Leggie,

just to add to the others.

the Botanical gardens took us 7 min to walk to and opposite are 2 restaurants that get good reviews. As Rickybear said at the junction turn right and after about 70 yards is Algarrobo restaurant another good restaurant we did not fit in. At the next traffic lights is Pepe's Bar, we are usually the only Brit's in there.

If you can find Arcon Tapas ( Plaza Concejil 2 mins walk from Plaza del Charcon) it was the best tapas we have ever had.

Turn left out of the hotel and after the church left again and you can join the main road down to the surfers beach. The restaurant by the beach is La Coronela and they do a 3 course menu of the day for 10.5 euro's 1/2 L wine 5e but they only serve food until 17:00 and a taxi back should be the minimum charge which is 3.5 e.

Following the same walk a few min's after the church is a small sub way under the main road and this leads into the banana plantations and if you follow the path in about 20 min's you reach Bollullo beach, take the camera.

We always take a taxi to La Orotava and from the taxi rank by the Botanical gardens to the La Orotava bus station cost us 7.5 e and 6.5 for the return. The taxi to The house of the Balconies should only be about another euro or so. Find the tourist info and get a free map because there are 53 historic building and about 30 of these are within a few mins walk of the town hall. The churches shut at 13:00 for the afternoon so we visit them first. The gardens are free to enter.

The hotel has a happy hour from 18:00 to 19:00 and I can not remember if the entertainment starts at 20:00 or 21:00. We had 2nd sitting for dinner and the entertainment had already started when we came out of dinner. There is a small extension / conservatory to the left of the restaurant when you walk in, try to get a table in there because there is more space around them and you have the same table each night for the duration of your hols.

Keith.

Mentioned in this post
Arcon Tapas
Arcon Tapas
631 Reviews
Tenerife, Spain
La Coronela
La Coronela
107 Reviews
Tenerife, Spain
La Orotava
La Orotava
Tenerife, Spain
bradford
Level Contributor
1,434 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Arriving at the end of August.

Hi Leggie

Back in the day when I was fairly active on lots of Forums I used to allow myself the occasional on-Forum primal scream, mainly at the question of what the weather would be like in July and August! Now that was usually about places in the Med and I am fairly sure the Canaries are a bit less extreme but just remember that you will be south of the Med and quite close to Africa so I suspect you will welcome the opportunity to lie on the beach or poolside from time to time.

As Steely has already suggested you won't find a there or back boat trip. In fact the nearest whale/dolphin trip you are likely to find is from Los Gigantes but I will say that I hate both creatures; sneaky, secretive things. They appear occasionally just to egg people on but when some poor soul like me goes out in a boat they show not even a snout! Seriously though, the bus trip to there is very scenic (if all works to schedule should be around 1.5 hours each way) and the cliffs are amazing.

Finally, this will not work if you let hubby read this but why not secretly record a message saying something like "it is Puerto de La Cruz not Playa de Las Americas"?

Good luck with the trip.

John

Mentioned in this post
Los Gigantes
Los Gigantes
Tenerife, Spain
bradford
Level Contributor
1,434 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Arriving at the end of August.

Apologies, got distracted and forgot to put in the bit about sticking it in a CD or whatever player under his pillows with it set to a timer.

Sunderland
Level Contributor
1,725 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Arriving at the end of August.

HI leggie

We go every year to Puerto ,in Sept , and you will be able to lie on the beach or by the pool every day .

Even if it is cloudy ,the sun comes through, and plenty of people have found to their cost ,you get burned.

Rutland UK
Destination Expert
for Tenerife
Level Contributor
11,854 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Arriving at the end of August.

Leggie . I wouldn't even bother driving or taking the bus to the south of the Island , that is unless if you are flying in and out of the south airport and combine it with an over night stay before you fly off .. It is too big ; see this map which will give you an idea ..

tenerifetravel.com/maps/southtenerife_large.…

The promenade is miles long with the resorts all joined up from Los Cristianos to El Duque ... Not worth going for just a few hours ......

You have so much to see in the North and in my opinion the best place to start ( it was where I was introduced to Tenerife many years ago before mass tourisim ) It is the more authentic part of the Island and still keeps some of it's charm .. The South is purpose built , not any thing wrong in that I visit the south often aswell .. Just depends what you want from a holiday , even in the south the beaches are mostly man made ... If you want golden beaches it has to be Gran Canaria ... Lanzarote ... or Fuerteventura ....

Sylla

Mentioned in this post
Tenerife
Tenerife
Canary Islands, Spain
Gran Canaria
Gran Canaria
Canary Islands, Spain
Lanzarote
Lanzarote
Canary Islands, Spain
Fuerteventura