We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions re: bus travel during brief visit and RF Astoria

Which Puerto de la Cruz hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,413 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Questions re: bus travel during brief visit and RF Astoria

Hi All

Apologies for the long post but I always prefer it when people give as much detail as possible in the initial post.

Am planning on visiting PDLC in May. First visit to Tenerife and sadly only for a couple of days. Not into staying in mega touristy areas so thought this area might suit well as have no problem with bus travel. Just seeking advice on a couple of questions if possible please...

1. Flight arrives at 11.15 and with only hand luggage am assuming we'll be out relatively fast. Have read about getting the 345 but keep reading conflicing reports on if it's possible to use BONO on this route. As we'll be so early, (and I've been stung once before when travelling self catering and arriving hungry during siesta) is it worth just taking the first bus to Santa Cruz, checking that out for a couple of hours, getting lunch there then buying BONO for the onward journey? (Have downloaded timetable and assume it would be 102 or 103?)

2. Staying in RF Astoria as priced middle ground between Bambi and Cassablanca. Anyone have recent experience of what the studios are like? Unfortunately in my head, the word studio equates a bedsit but the website pictures make it look quite big and I like the idea of proper beds (couldn't work out if Bambi would be a sleeper sofa).

Also is it worth getting taxi from bus station/road or is it easy to find for the first time? (I've read from reviews that entrance to Astoria is through Bambi entrance.)

3. Re: use of BONO, I feel really stupid becasue I still can't quite picture how it works. As far as I can understand it's a prepay system like London's Oyster but can be shared. Is that right? Does it debit the whole price of a bus per use or just part then cash? (Or does that only apply when you reach the end of your card?) I know it can be used for 2 people so I'm assuming the 15 euro be enough for 2 people for 2 days? (Am not counting day trip to Teide as understand this route is not discounted.)

Thanks in advance!

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto de la Cruz, Weston-super-Mare, Tenerife
Level Contributor
3,879 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions re: bus travel during brief visit and RF Astoria

Hi, the BONO works similar to an Oyster. So each card costs 15€ or 25€. One per family. As you enter the bus, you place the card into the machine, you tell the driver where you want to get off and he deducts the discounted fare from the card. You then repeat for a second passenger etc. Each fare is printed on the back of the card. For the final fare, you use up the balance plus cash, still at the discounted fare. You then buy a new BONO ticket. You can buy BONO tickets at all bus offices and some shops including the airport. But not on the bus.

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
17,103 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions re: bus travel during brief visit and RF Astoria

To answer another part of your query, Puerto is just like any tourist resort on the island they want to make the most of the tourists so do not have a siesta and you will find lots of shops and restaurants open during the lunch period so you will have no problem finding anywhere to eat.

This is the timetable for the bus to Teide www.titsa.com/index.php… I am assuming you were considering using public transport to do this. It wouldn´t be my choice as there is only one bus there and one back and should you miss it!!! I also don´t know how long the journey takes on the bus but there look to be lots of stops on the way. You may want to consider using an excursion company.

Can't help on accommodation as don´t know it.

queeniesdailysnippets.wordpress.com

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,413 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions re: bus travel during brief visit and RF Astoria

Thanks for the replies do far. The BONO now makes more sense to me. I read that it lasts for a year. Is this a calendar year? (Am thinking maybe getting the 25 euro and returning a few days earliest next year).

As for Teide visit. I don't mind taking the bus as we're used to getting ourselves around. I understand we'd need to get to the bus stop early. After reading the reply I did Google tours but most seem to go from the South and the one I saw from PDLC didn't run on a Sunday or Monday which are the only days we'd have free for it.

Edited: 20 February 2014, 14:02
Sunderland
Level Contributor
1,468 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions re: bus travel during brief visit and RF Astoria

Hi

Regarding the taxi from the bus station to the appartments .

With luggage I would say you definately need a taxi .This would cost around 4/5 Euros and take only a few minutes .However you could walk it in around 10 mins ,as it is basically a straight walk along Ave Cupido to the appartments .It is a bit of an up and down busy road ,and if you have any walking problems it can be a littls difficult .

Chester
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions re: bus travel during brief visit and RF Astoria

Hi,

it is about a 10 to 15 minute walk or the minimum charge 3.5e in a taxi. If you walk it is almost a straight line. From the bus station continue in the direction of the bus and straight away you will pass between the Dani and Magec hotels, continue to the traffic lights and go straight across on your left will be an old building ( tower) and in a few minutes you pass the hospital and on the other side of the road if the tallest tower block in PDLC, you are about 1/2 way now. Continue with the tower block on your right and when you reach a garden/ park on your right ( El Tope hotel behind it) you need to turn left before the gardens at the end of that road on the opposite side is an amusement arcade and Bambi is just behind it. As long as you keep going in that general direction for 10+ mins you won't be far from your hotel and you might get to see some parts of PDLC a lot of people miss.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,413 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions re: bus travel during brief visit and RF Astoria

Thanks for that. Mobility is not an issue and neither is luggage. Will only have small hand luggage size backpacks which is why visiting Santa Cruz en route was an idea. No problem with hitting the ground running rather than hanging around in the heat waiting for checkin. Glad siesta won't be an issue.

Sadly we only have time for a brief taster visit on this occasion. Will definitely follow the clear walking directions. Thanks for that!

Edited: 20 February 2014, 15:09
Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto de la Cruz, Weston-super-Mare, Tenerife
Level Contributor
3,879 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Questions re: bus travel during brief visit and RF Astoria

Hi, a BONO card lasts a year. So you can use it next time. However you can't use it on the Teide trip, as that is considered a tourist journey, and therefor does not qualify for the discount. That trip is particularly popular, so I suggest you walk back to the bus station, (street stop), so you get a seat. It is a good trip, you have plenty of time to either take the cable car to the summit, or one of the walks around the national park. There is a visitor centre with cafe close to where the bus stops at Mt. Teide.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,413 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Questions re: bus travel during brief visit and RF Astoria

Thanks for the reassurance on the Mt Teide trip. Am happy to save money using the local bus and spend it on the cable car once there. I read threads about tours not having enough time to queue up and do the cable car but the bus seems to give about 5 hrs free time which should be sufficient.

Still holding out on some recent opinions on the apartment...

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
556 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Questions re: bus travel during brief visit and RF Astoria

Hi there,

We used Bono tickets on the 345 yesterday- so no worries there. We stayed at Astoria last year. The Bambi and Astoria are two separate buildings, linked 'back to back'. The studios in the Astoria are more spacious and better appointed than the Bambi. Studios at the Astoria overlook a recently renovated pedestrianised street (Calle La Hoya). There are a few bars nearby, but it doesn't get too noisy. There are no views from the small balcony. In fact, you may find yourself peeking into someone's bedroom in the opposite building. The staff are very nice and breakfast (if included) is OK. Overall, a good choice for a studio in the centre of Puerto.

Enjoy

Tommy

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,413 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Questions re: bus travel during brief visit and RF Astoria

Thanks for that Steely. I've read reviews on Astoria but Tripadvisor is the only website that rates Bambi as higher of the two which seemed odd. Everyone else has it the other way around so I'm glad to hear it first hand. Not bothered with having a view but like the idea of more space and it still works out less than £10 pp pn for Astoria.

Will still think about breaking journey for couple of hours or taking bus direct and hanging around for checkin.

Get answers to your questions about Puerto de la Cruz
Recent Conversations