We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in May

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
1,732 posts
227 reviews
Save Topic
Weather in May

Can anyone give me a rough idea of what temperature to expect in the first two week's in May. I know the north of Teneriffe is prone to cloudy but just wanted to double check that May isn't a time when its all cloud and ran and no sun. We've been before but in July and that was many years ago.

Also, one final question, what's the best 5 star hotel in the area. Don't mind being a 30-40 walk away from the main town centre. Don't like big hotels packed full of lager louts and hoards of kids. Prefer hotels that cater to a quieter, maybe older clientele. Seem to recall there was a nice hotel opposite the botanical gardens that had nice gardens although the accommodation was a 60s style block. Anything else of a similar standard in that or a similar area. Can be smaller and/or more traditional boutique style. We stay in Funchal regularly and usually stay in one of the old Quintas (manor houses) as a comparison. One thing I don't want is to be in a place surrounded by or near to loud noisy nightclubs or bars.

Any insights or help with hotels would be appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Funchal
Funchal
Madeira, Portugal
Hotel Tigaiga
Hotel Tigaiga
#1 of 83 hotels in Puerto de la Cruz
Hotel Botanico & The Oriental Spa Garden
Hotel Botanico & The Oriental Spa Garden
#2 of 83 hotels in Puerto de la Cruz
Apartments Ambassador
Apartments Ambassador
#3 of 83 hotels in Puerto de la Cruz
Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto de la Cruz, Weston-super-Mare, Tenerife
Level Contributor
4,087 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in May

Hi, the traditional north of Tenerife is very different to the tourist orientated southern resorts. Although Puerto de la Cruz has a couple of English bars, you will find hundreds of local bars and restaurants around the main Plaza Charco and small fishing harbour. The old town dats back to the 1600s. You will still find banana plantations next to tourist hotels.

The hotel you refer to is the Botanico, a lovely 5 star hotel and spa. It is as you say opposite the Botancial Gardens in the La Paz suburb. Taxis are available from the hotel, and a bus stop just outside. It is a 40 minute down hill walk to the sea front.

We have had some lovely holidays in May. It can be a little cloudy, but it is very thin and soon burns through. We always return with a lovely tan. The local tropical flowers and shrubs will be in full flower.

Puerto is not a noisy town, except during carnival or festival time. We have never seen any bad behaviour or drukenness. This I think down to it being a local town as well as a holiday resort. It does not have the English/Irish pubs and nightclubs.

I am sure you will have a lovely holiday.

Mentioned in this post
Tenerife
Tenerife
Canary Islands, Spain
Puerto de la Cruz
Puerto de la Cruz
Tenerife, Spain
Plaza Charco
Plaza Charco
1,574 Reviews
Tenerife, Spain
Hotel Puerto Palace
Hotel Puerto Palace
884 Reviews
Tenerife, Spain
Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
1,732 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in May

Brilliant thank you. One more question though, is the Botanico the only hotel of that standard in PDLC?

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,416 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in May

Hi

Yes it is, there are other hotel that are of a good standard but the Botanico is in a class of it's own :0)

Hope this helps

Sparhawk1

Sunderland
Level Contributor
1,724 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in May

HI

Going by reviews Hotel Tigaiga and Riu Garoe both get very good write ups .

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Tigaiga
Hotel Tigaiga
287 Reviews
Tenerife, Spain
Hotel Riu Garoe
Hotel Riu Garoe
883 Reviews
Tenerife, Spain
London, United...
Level Contributor
5,416 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather in May

We have been inside {both hotel and the grounds} of Hotel Tigaiga many times and while I agree it gets good reviews and if our hotel was booked up would have no hesitation in staying thereI do not believe it is a patch on the Botanico. These days I do think you get what you pay for and perhaps one day I would be able to stay at Botanico but until then I will just dream :0)

Sparhawk1

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Tigaiga
Hotel Tigaiga
287 Reviews
Tenerife, Spain
Chester
Level Contributor
2,966 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather in May

Hi,

we often stay at the Botanico and it sounds like the place you want. They have standard rooms but they also have a lot of Ambassador suites which are 2 of the old 60's style rooms knocked in to one, we prefer the ones that look over the golf putting green. The hotel also does a flexi dining where at the time of booking you can purchase 3 or more meal vouchers to use during the week so this gives you plenty of opportunity to try the great restaurants in PDLC. The hotels restaurants are very good especially lunch around the pool.

We tried the Rui Garoe, nice but not quite good enough.

Last month we tried Funchal for the first time and stayed at Reid's which was excellent. I could not get over how similar PDLC and Funchal are, beautiful scenery, great food and nice people.

Keith.

Mentioned in this post
Funchal
Funchal
Madeira, Portugal
Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
1,732 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather in May

Thanks everyone. Yes Funchal and PDLC are similar (although I haven't been to PDLC for years which is what's making me think its time for a long overdue return visit). Reids is fantastic and very old school and the locations ideal. We stayed at a small Quinta pretty much opposite Reids and at Quinta Jardins do Largo in Funchal. From what everyone is saying it does sound like Botanico is the place for us. We love spacious rooms, old style service and beautiful gardens. It sounds like Botanico's the only one that's going to deliver all of what we want + his nib is a sucker for spa treatments and it looks like Botanico delivers on that too.

Thanks for the advice everyone - its really helped to focus the mind.

Mentioned in this post
Funchal
Funchal
Madeira, Portugal
Chester
Level Contributor
2,966 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather in May

Hi,

just remembered the spa facilities are free and you only pay for treatments. If the weather is not great I could spend the whole day in the thermal spa circuit and indoor pool. A 5-10 min walk from the Botanico is a view point over PDLC and to the right is the Belamar restaurant, the food is very cheap but good and the views are the best.

Keith.

London, England...
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather in May

Hi COULD SOMEONE PLEASE TELL Me what is the weather like in puerto de la cruz in september?I am goin there 08-17 SEPthis year for my birthday. would appreciate if someone could reply to me :):):) im new to trip advisor so wasnt sure where to post my question.. thanks <3

Edited: 14 August 2014, 08:27
London, United...
Level Contributor
5,416 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Weather in May

Hi

September can be one of the hottest month in Tenerife, you SHOULD be looking at daytime temps mid to upper 20's {even into the low 30's. After dark low 20's so it is shorts, tee shirts all the way. Enjoy your holiday:0) Everything is open so you should have a great time

Hope this helps

Sparhawk1

Edited: 14 August 2014, 09:19
Get answers to your questions about Puerto de la Cruz
Recent Conversations