We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 week holiday july 2011 flight bilbao and car hire

Level Contributor
85 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
2 week holiday july 2011 flight bilbao and car hire

i need suggestions for hols

Poss touring with seven nights in middle in one resort, pref near sea with true spain atmosphere

Usa, Japan
Level Contributor
506 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 week holiday july 2011 flight bilbao and car hire

can you tell us exactly where you are going. You posted this in the Cantabria area but you write about Bilbao. The twoare not the same.

Level Contributor
85 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 week holiday july 2011 flight bilbao and car hire

hi thks for reply. we will fly to bilbao and are interested in travelling west

but do not know distances for a comfortable two weeks exploring with maybe a week centrally somewhere near coast to relax and explore.

We like sound of places likecomillas san vicente, liences, suances ribasesilla noja. is this possible or too spread out?

quijano, spain
Level Contributor
71 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 week holiday july 2011 flight bilbao and car hire

Hello: All the places you mentioned are close together, with good beaches (and food!). What sort of holiday are you looking for? beaches, mountains, culture? Are you looking to stay in hotel, rural accommodation or self-catering/camping? If you give some more information, I would love to help you.

Level Contributor
85 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 week holiday july 2011 flight bilbao and car hire

Hi again

We are mature couple wholike to combine sightseeing with occasional visit to sea but like to explore local villages and towns. Prefer to stay either BB

in small family place or self catering but not on a camp site. How far is this area from airport? Also has car hire gone really expensive in this area?

We would also like to visit the mountains how far is that away?

We would really appreciate your help with an itinerary

Thanks

Sue

quijano, spain
Level Contributor
71 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 week holiday july 2011 flight bilbao and car hire

Hello, I'll do my best to help you with your itinerary; firstly, I am not a tourist guide, nor do I have anything to do with any tourism business here in Cantabria - I have lived here for 15 years, love the place and feel it is a shame that the "official" authorities don't do more to promote the area! So, formal bit over, I'll start...If you are flying into Bilbao, I would definitely spend a day there, see the Guggenheim and wander around the "Casco Viejo" (old quarters). You'll find some good bars for tapas all around the city. If you have time, you could also drive easterly to San Sebastian, which is very nice. Once you start to drive west from Bilbao, Noja is the first town you mentioned in your list. Nice beach (as is Isla, next to this), but good for a quick walk around and beach if the weather is nice. This is about 3/4 hour drive from Bilbao.Santander should be your next stop, although I wouldn't stay in the city. Good for a walk around, again, good food and nice beaches. If you stay, for example, in Somo, you can easily park and get the ferry into the city. From Santander, you then mentioned Liencres - all that is is a lovely beach, but you would have to check the conditions: it's my local beach and this summer I can't remember one day when the conditions allowed free swimming - however, lovely walk along the beach if the weather is bad. Next place you mentioned: Suances. I like this town, good places to eat and a lovely beach called "Los Locos", but it really is only a resort for mainly Spanish tourists. By the way, the beach is only good at low tide, otherwise it is really tiny. The local big town, Torrelavega, is very industrial and quite ugly; however, it has very good shops (better than Santander), if you want to do any shopping. You also should visit Santillana del Mar, and the prehistoric caves of Altamira. From Suances/Torrelavega we then reach Comillas/San Vicente/Cobreces - again, good beaches, towns are worth a wander, but nothing more than a morning/afternoon visit and very good fish/sea food in San Vicente. From here, you can either go to the mountains Picos de Europa (short drive to Potes, the major town in the area) or carry on along the coast towards Asturias, the next province. Asturias also has wonderful beaches, nice villages, good food...Ribadesella is lovely, Oviedo nice....this post is getting very long, so let me suggest you look at the following websites: www.turismodecantabria.com, www.clubcalidadcantabriainfinita.es, www.cantabriarural.es and www.asturias.es they all have English versions and will help in itineraries/accommodation etc. I'm not sure if I am allowed by TA to mention restaurants/hotels/b&bs, but please contact me by email if you like, and I can help with your decisions. I have no idea about car hire here, but when I travel abroad I use a comparison website to get the best deal. As I said before, please contact me for any extra help, it is wonderful that, at last, people want to visit the area, and not just pass by when they arrive by ferry or flights.

London, England
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 week holiday july 2011 flight bilbao and car hire

Impressive reply above- and little to add ... but

Car hire still seems good value in SpaIN despite recent years' inflation, but I have found carhire3000.com (or is it co.uk) to be cheap and reliable in Spain and Italy; a British based firm who discount reliable operators like AVIS. Distances don't seem great as the Cantabria motorway is a dream to drive compared to UK main roads, so your itinerary is very manageable.

The coast is fine but you must definitely also visit the mountains; Potes in the Picos de Europa, mentioned above, is in a high valley at the end of a tortuous but scenic 40-minute drive south from the coast through La Hermida gorge (and less than 200km from Bilbao). Lots of tourists but still a ramshackle original market town feel. Drive on 20km or so west up the dead-end valley to Fuente De and if you get there early enough to beat the crowds of coach trippers, take the cable car up to the lip of the dramatic cliff of the corrie, 1,000m above for some easy walking among high peaks. Go a mile or less and you'll escape most trippers; or walk on to the refuge de Aliva for lunch- about a 2-3 hour round trip stroll with stunning scenery. Potes, in the east of the compact Picos range, is also, in my experience more likely to get good weather than the western flanks (the approach from Canga de Onis) although we generally visit earlier in the year so weather may not be an issue in July.

If interested in walking or flora/fauna, get the 'landscapes of northern spain; Picos de Europa' guidebook by T. Farino in the excellent series by www.sunflowerbooks.co.uk.

we love the Hotel del Oso in Cosgaya, mid way between Potes and Fuente De; great value at 50-70GBP a night, but there are also camp sites and cheaper places near Potes.

Cantabria
Destination Expert
for Cantabria
Level Contributor
1,764 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 week holiday july 2011 flight bilbao and car hire

One website which my family use when they come and visit me for car hire is www.holidayautos.com, generally it's much cheaper to reserve before you come than do it here in an airport or similar.

By the way, I would recommend stopping in another place for fantastic seafood tapas, Castro Urdiales, just over the Cantabrian border from Bilbao, it's a lovely beach town with some interesting architecture and a nice stroll, can be difficult to park though in high season.

Also if you end up based near San Vicente/Comillas you should drive up the Saja valley (and national park) to the very picturesque town of Barcena Mayor, a very well conserved typical Cantabrian mountain town, it has some great restaurants too (traditional food there is more meat and game). It's slightly more off the beaten track than Santillana etc., although still touristy in summer. There's also some great walking around Saja (and also the Picos of course).

Another seaside town which is also worth a stop if you're heading into Asturias is Llanes, I'm not sure if anyone's mentioned this or not. It's beautiful, just over the border from Cantabria, and also has some great food, a port area and beaches, it's nice for a stroll around.

And another stunning stunning place is Lastres, a bit further along the Asturian coast (in Jurassic lands, there is a Dinosaur museum and some quite impressive dinosaur footprints along there too). The town is perched on a cliff over the sea, with a port and small beach at the bottom. We parked at the top and walked down through a maze of small winding streets, beautiful!! (think cornish fishing village).

Anyway you'll have a fantastic time, you can probably tell by everyone's enthusiastic responses what a fantastic place the north coast is!! And with a car it's very easy to get around, the motorways are fast and have beautiful scenery too. Enjoy your trip!

8. Re: 2 week holiday july 2011 flight bilbao and car hire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2011, 07:21