We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to visit and stay?

Stourbridge, West...
Level Contributor
173 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Where to visit and stay?

Hi I am an annual visitor to Spain normally visiting Valencia which is my favourite city so far. But I want to see more of Spain and my wife is keen on visiting The Cantabria region. I am interested in local culture, architecture, history, regional food and anything unique and interesting. I travel with my wife and two young children younger than 3 years old. Any suggestions where to travel too would be gratefully appreciated.y

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
59,214 posts
3,584 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to visit and stay?

ethereal:

You can visit Santander. It is a very pleasant city, very relaxing.

From Santander you may want to make a day trip to Santillana del Mar.

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
7,633 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to visit and stay?

Some tips for Cantabria:

Santander (base)

santanderconventionbureau.com/archivos/image…

Touring the bay by boat in Santander

joven-in.com/sites/…ferry-bahia-santander.jpg

Santillana del Mar

portalvacaciones.com/files/2012/08/Santillan…

Altamira Museum of Prehistory in Santillana del Mar

…museodealtamira.mcu.es/web/docs/Conoceelmus…

El Capricho' by Gaudí at Comillas

christyesmahan.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/0…

San Vicente de la Barquera

…wordpress.com/2012/12/san-vicente-de-la-bar…

Cabárceno Zoo Park

…flickr.com/3513/3751663038_66a30f3b33_o.jpg

Teleférico (Cablecar) in Fuente Dé

…wikimedia.org/wikipedia/…A9.jpg

Castro Urdiales

charlytours.es/Programas/…05.05-36.jpg

Cantabria
Destination Expert
for Cantabria
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to visit and stay?

Lots of great suggestions there from Revulgo!

There are lots of lovely towns in Cantabria to visit which I'm sure you'll love, Santillana del Mar, Comillas, San Vicente de la Barquera, Barcena Mayor, Potes, Lierganes, Castro Urdiales, Santoña, Puente Viesgo, and many more. Lots of places to visit too, as mentioned above, I'd say especially for kids, Cabarceno (although with very young kids in the height of summer you might find it a bit much, lots of getting in and out of cars, and the zoo at Santillana might be better), some great park areas too for kids, especially in Santander, (the huge Parque de Las Llamas and the beachside park on the Magdalena peninsular, and from summer 2014 I expect the new park area in the town centre, Jardines de Pereda, where they're currently building the new Botín Arts Centre, will be great I'm sure), but you'll find an abundance of parks in most villages and towns. Lots of beaches too for the kids, I'd try places like Luaña (Cobreces), El Tostadero in San Vicente, the beaches in Santander, and Galizano, the list goes on. A nice day trip could be to the town of Lierganes, spa town, with pretty river and small river museum with otters, which kids love (classic school trip place!). There's also the bizarre mini zoo on the magaldena peninsular in Santander (you could easily spend a whole day on this peninsular with kids, petit tren etc. too and great beaches). The Cable Car at Fuente De is another great day trip with Potes (as mentioned above), great fun, get there early in summer to avoid queues. And Puente Viesgo is another lovely place to have a wander, a great picnic area down by the river with a good park and paddling for kids (if you want directions let me know), and lovely river walk, although probably not suitable for kids that young. Great bike path too going all along that valley, in fact it goes all the way up to Ontaneda, where there's another lovely park with red squirrels, great homemade icecream.

There's one thing I'd take into consideration though, a lot of these places are cobbled, and are hell with a pushchair! Santillana for example is nearly completely cobbled, and not flat either, the centre of Lierganes is cobbled, as are parts of Comillas and Potes, and Barcena Mayor is also completely cobbled (if you are thinking of going to Barcena Mayor for some real unspoilt authentic Cantabrian mountain architecture, let me know and I'll explain a great picnic place with excellent river swimming for all ages there).

And if you wanted an inland day trip, I have to say the best park is not actually in Cantabria, but is in the pretty and historical town of Aguilar de Campoo, it has an excellent park for all ages next to the river, with riverside cafes, old town walls, gates etc, the castle ruins, the reservoir with great swimming.

And finally, check out my blog! www.ratoncantabria.wordpress.com for more ideas and pictures. You'll also find on there a What's On in Cantabria, in summer there are so many extra activities going on all over the place for kids, fiestas, markets, shows, entertainment, often in the pretty towns I mentioned above, that's where it gets really interesting and you see some real culture!

Cantabria
Destination Expert
for Cantabria
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to visit and stay?

Just to update the cobbled streets issues with pushchairs, the other day I was in Potes, and I noticed that in the main cobbled streets they have now put a strip of flat paving down the middle of them, to enable pushchairs/wheelchairs/high heels to avoid the cobbles. And interesting idea! And tastefully done too.

5. Re: Where to visit and stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 April 2014, 17:04
6. Re: Where to visit and stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2015, 04:22
Get answers to your questions about Cantabria