We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train to the mountains?

Sheffield
Level Contributor
46 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Train to the mountains?

Hi - is there any nice village in the mountains above Santander that you can reach by train? Preferably with a decent hotel and some nice local walks?

Thanks in advance for your replies

Suffolk UK
6 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Train to the mountains?

Hi Harry, i don't know of any; (most) trains are not very good at going up hills let alone moutains!

I think you have two options

1. Get a bus into Potes which is in the mountains, see details elsewhere in this forum. or

2. Take the FEVE narrow-gauge railway from Santander to one of the Coastal towns in Cantabrica/Asturias. I can recommend Ribadesella. A very pretty town with a huge Atlantic beach and good connections to Cangas de Onis in the western Picos

FEVE website (spanish only) http://www.feve.es/

Hope this helps

Sheffield
Level Contributor
46 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train to the mountains?

Thanks for your reply, Joe. Much appreciated.

The narrow gague railway sounds fun if it runs at the start of April.

I have also checked out the bus to Potes, and it takes 2½ hrs from Santander. Will probably do that and then take a cab or bum a ride to one of the hotels at Fuente De.

Harry.

London
Level Contributor
123 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train to the mountains?

Hi,

I am from Santander; the FEVE rail option might sound very romantic but it will take you over 3 hours to get to Ribadesella, and there are only 2 trains a day. I would stay in Cantabria and go to Potes as suggested. If you are considering going to Ribadesella (which is not in the mountains but by the beach), why don't you stay in Santillana del Mar? It is only 1/2 hour from Santander and from there you could visit Comillas, San Vicente de la Barquera, Reserva del Saja (natural reserve)...think about hiring a car though, you'll see much more.

I hope you enjoy Cantabria

4. Re: Train to the mountains?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2009, 01:15