We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oviedo or Santander?

Which Santander hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Shaker Heights, Ohio
Level Contributor
9 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Oviedo or Santander?

I have only one day to spare to visit Santander or Oviedo. I will be in Bilbao and my plan is to take the bus to Santander early am, catch the Feve train to Oviedo, visit Oviedo for 1h30 and then catch a bus to Bilbao. Is this a good plan where I will only visit Oviedo or is it better to take the bus to Oviedo, the Feve train to Santander, visit Santander instead?

What is a better deal if you have such short time? I really would like to take the Feve scenic train and I am not sure whether Oviedo or Santander is more interesting and whether going east or west on the Feve train makes any difference

NJ
Level Contributor
378 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oviedo or Santander?

I don't think your plan to spend all those hours in bus/ train to just spend a little over an hour in Oviedo is a good one. Even if you had a car, it wouldn't make much sense as a day trip (its close to 300 kms) I have stayed both in Oviedo and Santander and like them both a lot. They're very different. But given the proximity, a visit to Santander would make more sense (1.5 hr from Bibao by bus). When is your visit? Santander is a beach town, I have only been there during the summer so I don't know if it has a good "vibe" in the fall or winter. It has a gorgeous beach and promenade. Also very good restaurants.

Shaker Heights, Ohio
Level Contributor
9 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oviedo or Santander?

I will be visiting in 2 weeks. I became interested in riding the narrow gauge Feve train when I heard it is really a scenic ride. Scenic enough that there is 5 days trip aboard a hotel train that follows the same route. So the focus is on the ride itself. I was just wondering if riding from east to west vs west to east is a better ride and if I have a couple of hours to visit, should I plan Santander or Oviedo.

NJ
Level Contributor
378 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oviedo or Santander?

Good luck, I've never taken te FEVE so can't comment. I think I would get dizzy all those hrs in a train.

Cantabria
Level Contributor
92 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oviedo or Santander?

hi

It's not posible to go and return from Bilbao to Oviedo in the same day taken a FEVE train. There are not direct train from Bilbao to Oviedo and you must change train in Santander. There are only two trains per day between Bilbao and Santander, and de same between Santander and Oviedo.

Train from Bilbao to Santander leaves at 8:02 and 13:02 (arriving to Santander at 10:50 and 15:57)

Train from Santander to Oviedo leaves at 9:10 and 16:10 (arriving Oviedo at 13:40 and 20:40).

So, if you want to go to Oviedo and return to Bilbao by train you have to spend a night in Oviedo.

Train Santander to Bilbao:

- departs from Santander at 14:00 and arrives to Bilbao at 10:45

- departs from Santander at 19:00 and arrives to Bilbao at 21:45

here you can check the train timetable (in spanish):

feve.es/es/…

Cantabria
Destination Expert
for Cantabria
Level Contributor
1,651 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oviedo or Santander?

Firstly, I think it really depends when you're going, as the amount of light you have determines how much you're going to see. For example, it IS possible to do what you say you want to do in the original post (although I agree with the others, it's a lot to do in a day and you're missing some of the best bits).

You could get an early bus from Bilbao to Oviedo (direct, they pass through Santander too, www.alsa.es), and be in Oviedo before lunch if you're willing to get up early. You'd then be able to have lunch in Oviedo and get the 1535 FEVE train to Santander, which gets in at 2017 (if you were doing this at any time except summer it would be fairly pointless as it will be dark for half the journey, in December for example it is dark by about 4.30pm). If it was summer, it would still be light on arrival in Santander (until about 10pm), so you'd be able to have a nice walk around Santander too, and possibly even have dinner in Santander. You could then get a late bus back to Bilbao (takes about an hour if you get a directish one).

The train is indeed scenic, but remember, one of the reasons they do the Transcantabrico is because it is a luxurious train (the one you'll be on is a normal train) and there are many stops to get on buses and do excursions to the many points of interest along the way (which do not have train stations). For example, you will go through Llanes station on the train, but you will not see Llanes from there, the same goes for many towns along the way. However, you'll still have lovely scenery, it's a lovely part of the world (and I have to say I've been wanting to do the train trip for a long time!).

Let us know how the trip goes!

Shaker Heights, Ohio
Level Contributor
9 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oviedo or Santander?

Thanks! I have a whole week in Bilbao and it will be possible to do Santander, early afternoon, on one of those days. So Oviedo will be my focus on the free day. I will definitely let you know. Those forums helped me a lot and I want to return the favor.

7. Re: Oviedo or Santander?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2012, 06:18