We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Feve trains - comfort for an old man!

London, UK
Level Contributor
9 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Feve trains - comfort for an old man!

I am hoping to make a round trip on the 'narrow gauge' feve trains in May/June on my own. The part of the journey I am particularly interested in is: Santander - Ovideo - Ferrol - A Coruna - Leon - Bilbao. Night stops would be Ovideo & A Coruna. [ Ferrol / A Coruna/ Leon is renfre main line service] However the first feve journey is over 4 hours; the second 6 hours and the last over 7 hours. Can anyone advise whether these 'small' trains are comfortable, or whether it is better to go First Class, if they have one? Also, is food available on board, or should I take it with me? Any guidance welcome.

Santander
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Feve trains - comfort for an old man!

The trains are "comfortable", but take in account that these trains work as commuter trains so not many people travel long distances on them, they travel mainly from a small town to another, to a main city to work or study...

i think neither the short distance trains or the "regional" trains (the few that goes for example from Santander to Oviedo) on FEVE have different classes. Food is not available so you have to take your own food and drinks.

London, UK
Level Contributor
9 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Feve trains - comfort for an old man!

Very many thanks for a quick and informative reply. Regards, Tim

Cantabria
Destination Expert
for Cantabria
Level Contributor
1,823 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Feve trains - comfort for an old man!

Yes, there are two types of FEVE train, the commuter ones (which are actually newer, but more basic) and the long distance ones (which if you're doing long chunks, are the ones you'll be on), which certainly are a bit more comfortable, but nothing compared to when you get on the RENFE train, which will have nicer seats, restaurant etc. There is definately no food on the FEVE.

They have now realised their tourist potential a bit more though, and they do now run actual tourist trains on the lines, and these do have 2 classes on some lines. Check out:

www.eltranscantabricoclasico.com/index.asp

http://www.eltranscantabricogranlujo.com/en/

http://www.elexpresodelarobla.com/index.asp?idioma=en&r=1024*768

Hope that helps too!

London, UK
Level Contributor
9 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Feve trains - comfort for an old man!

Very many thanks for your information. I have checked your links and, indeed, there is excellant comfort there! However I was interested to read that there are two types of train: commuter and long-distance. On the FEVE website I seemed unable to find any details of their trains [carriages/classes]. Nor - on the internet - could I find any reviews or travellers experiences of these journeys. 4 hours on a commuter train is certainly enough, whereas 7 hours on a proper long-distance train should be no pain. It is this that decides where I stay overnight. So saying, I now think I should also stop overnight at Leon. The general journey is being advertised in the UK by a travel company for 'trekkers' which is not me. I find that, with friendly locals, such journeys can be very interesting. Regards, Tim

5. Re: Feve trains - comfort for an old man!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 January 2013, 10:25