We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

15th august - 2 hours to spend in santander

Level Contributor
2 posts
111 reviews
Save Topic
15th august - 2 hours to spend in santander

Hi, for my mums 80th birthday me and my sister have booked the ferry from UK to samtander. 15th Aug which is when we will dock for 2 or 3 hours is assumption day which is a major national holiday - will we be able to find anything open thinking tapas within walking distance of the ferry or is it worth getting a taxi for a quick trip any suggestions and recommendations would be wonderful x jacqui

Cantabria
Destination Expert
for Cantabria
Level Contributor
1,764 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 15th august - 2 hours to spend in santander

Yes, 15th August is a national holiday, and all shops will be shut, but not necessarily all bars. In 2 or 3 hours, you won't comfortably have time to go out of the city and get back, and eat in the middle. I'd suggest one of two things, mainly depending on the fitness of your mother! Either you could stay around the area directly in front of the port, i.e. the promenade and the centre immediately behind it, where I would recommend going to Casa Lita for tapas (at the far end of the promenade), or sit at any of the cafes and restaurants along the front on the terraces (expect to pay more for sitting on the terrace, as with everywhere), a nice calm walk along there. Casa Lita has limited tables, depends what time you're looking at. Otherwise you could get a taxi up to the Sardinero area of the city, which is the beach area with lots of lovely restaurants and a nice stroll along one of the beaches or around the Magdelena peninsular, this would be the slightly more strenuous part, although there is a petit tren which goes around the headland (normally it takes about 30 minutes to walk around, a little up hill). A nice place to take your mother for a spectacular view (a little pricey, but not bad considering the location) would be the Balneario de la Concha, right on the beach, good food, but again, busy, you might be pushed to get a table, but you could always email them and book one in advance, I'm pretty sure there's at least one guy there who speaks English. www.balneariodelaconcha.com/principal.html (the main photo is the upstairs terrace, the restaurant is below). A taxi up to this area would probably be no more than 10 Euros I reckon, and there are ranks up there for an easy ride back. It will take about 5 minutes, not even.

Level Contributor
2 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 15th august - 2 hours to spend in santander

Thank you for your suggestions we're really looking forward to this!

3. Re: 15th august - 2 hours to spend in santander

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 July 2013, 00:15