We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santander to paradise?

London
Level Contributor
281 posts
137 reviews
Save Topic
Santander to paradise?

First time in the area as I usually go to Galicia and Cies Islands. I arrive and depart from Santander and I'm looking to leave the city the day after arrival and head for the beach or beach/mountains. I would most appreciate your advice for locations to look at for a week's stay in rugged nature. I have to rely on public transport so I would appreciate a location not too far to travel to and from Santander. I haven't been to San Sebastian but from the images it does not look like what I am looking for. I do not want to be in a build up tourist resort, prefering a more isolated and rustic location. Many thanks in advance for any pointers in the right direction. If you've been to the Cies Islands then you will have an idea of the kind of area I would like to find for a week's rest. Thanks!

Cantabria
Destination Expert
for Cantabria
Level Contributor
1,897 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Santander to paradise?

I haven't been to the Cies! But firstly, are you looking for beach or mountains as your base? Cantabria has a beautiful coastline, but it is not as long and isolated as Galicia's, and if you're limited to public transport, most places you'll be able to get to will be towns or villages. Google some of these places to see if they float your boat: San Vicente de la Barquera with its Playa de Meron, Oyambre (although you'll have to get a bus to Comillas and walk from there, there's no public transport to Oyambre), Playa Valdearenas (near Liencres, again, no public transport to the beach itself), Santoña (town) and Playa Berria and Monte Buciero (great walking by the sea). If you want to be in the mountains, by public transport this really isn't easy! Your only real option in Cantabria is Potes, by bus from Santander, but this is the Picos de Europa's main tourist hub, pretty village, lots of services, I suspect you may think this is too touristy! Somewhere you might like more is Barcena Mayor, in the Saja Valley, but this is not possible without a car. Similarly, the Pas Valley is beautiful, but you'll need a car. To see where you can go on public transport, this website is useful: www.transportedecantabria.es, and check out my blog for ideas www.ratoncantabria.wordpress.com. Sorry, I know that's probably not very positive information there, but without a car to get off the beaten track, you're limited as to your options! Try posting in the Asturias and Basque Country forums, you might have more car free possibilities there maybe.

Cantabria
Destination Expert
for Cantabria
Level Contributor
1,897 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Santander to paradise?

Can I just say, having seen your other post, that from San Vicente bus station, you can easily get up to Potes by bus, and across into Asturias, back to Comillas and Santillana, it's a good base to travel by public transport in this area. Be aware that the FEVE train station in San Vicente is NOT in the town (look on Google Maps, you'll see), but it about 45 minutes walk from the centre.

London
Level Contributor
281 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Santander to paradise?

Thank you very much indeed, most helpful advice which I will look into....

4. Re: Santander to paradise?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 June 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Santander