We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to visit ?

Halifax, United...
Level Contributor
235 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Where to visit ?

Hi there,my husband and I arrive in Santander at the beginning of September,on the Wednesday evening. We have a campervan and are staying for 3 weeks. We have from Wednesday evening till the Sunday to get to santiago de compostela for the finish of the vuelta. We would like to travel inland as after the cycling we are going straight to northern Portugal,where we will make our way back to Santander all around the coast. We have planned our coastal stops but don't know where to visit on the inland journey. Thankyou .....

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
58,547 posts
3,577 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to visit ?

Julie:

I suggest Oviedo, La Coruña and Santiago de Compostela.

Cantabria
Destination Expert
for Cantabria
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to visit ?

For ideas in Cantabria itself check out my blog: www.ratoncantabria.wordpress.com

Benny's suggestions are nice, the main big cities. Driving over 3 days in a camper will not leave you a great deal of time for stopping, but I suggest you try and get some mountains in on the way over to Santiago. In the Cantabria area, you could consider for example driving up to Potes (although be prepared for driving the Hermida gorge with a camper, if it's very high there are lots of overhangs, although it is perfectly possible, everybody does it), and then over Puerto San Glorio, and back down into Asturias through one of the gorges there (Beyos is lovely), but that may take you a long time if you're slow, it's very windy (as in curvy!). Another possibility to get a taster of the mountains could be take the motorway to Unquera, then head up to Panes, then cut across into Asturias along another lovely bit of much more accessible gorge (towards Arenas de Cabrales) and then you could stop off at either Bulnes and its funicular, or go up to the Covadonga lakes, then via Cangas towards Oviedo and onwards from there. Ask Mike in the Asturias forum for his suggestions on Asturias too. And If you head into Galicia from inland, we recently stopped at Mondonedo which we liked very much as a small town, amazing church (cathedral? can't remember), just off the motorway too, but that might be better on your return leg.

3. Re: Where to visit ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 July 2015, 05:15