We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Madrid to Toledo to Seville?

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
90 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Madrid to Toledo to Seville?

I understand from …typepad.com/info/…new_high_speed_.html

that there is now a train (AVE) from Madrid to Toledo. But I'm not able to reproduce this on the RailEurope web site. Is this really true? And if so, is there then the AVE train from Toledo to Seville without going back to Madrid? I'm finalizing plans and would rather spend one night in Madrid, off to Toledo and stay there, and then on to Seville, but was planning on coming back to Madrid when I thought there was no train from Toledo going south. Anyone know for sure and how to secure tickets if not from RailEurope web site?

Thanks!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Madrid to Toledo to Seville?

Some of the trains are NOT listed on raileurope's website, but the customer service folks can see the scheduals, go over times, and even book seats. Call them at 1-800-438-7245

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
90 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Madrid to Toledo to Seville?

Thank you so much! I'll call them...

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
90 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Madrid to Toledo to Seville?

Okay, I feel like I'm going in circles.

The web site doesn't show any routes from Madrid to Toledo or Toledo to Seville (when you do the schedule thing, even if picking a closer in date).

When I emailed the RailEurope customer service, they said "If you are doing more train travel and considering to purchase a railpass, this journey would be covered. Otherwise a point to point ticket for these particular city pairs can be purchased locally." Which I assume means there ARE trains from Madrid to Toledo and Toledo to Seville.

When I called the 800 number recommended by lolasanfranciso (thanks!), they said there are trains from Madrid to Toledo (which I kind of figured) but NOT from Toledo to Seville. And they can't get the information on schedules either, so it must not be in the system, we would have to make specific train reservations when we are there.

That's fine but I just want to know for sure whether there are trains from Toledo to Seville since that will determine whether we stay in Madrid or Toledo the second night (hotel reservation wise).

UG. Anyone out there actually TAKE this phantom train from Toledo to Seville?

Thanks again...

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
90 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Madrid to Toledo to Seville?

Okay, here's the final scoop.

RailEurope customer service emailed back: "The reason the website does not show trains in July is because we can only book trains in Spain 60 days out. There are trains going from Toledo to Seville with connections in Madrid. There are direct trains from Madrid to Toledo through out the day. You can check schedules by putting in earlier dates just to get approximate times."

They are wrong on the first point because I realize that and tried plenty of earlier dates--I found general rate/schedule information for other routes that way. Also, the 800 number folks couldn't find the info either. But it does explain the main question--I guess, despite what some articles on the web say, there is still no "direct" train from Toledo to Seville--but of course you can go back through Madrid and get there.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
90 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Madrid to Toledo to Seville?

agz here again. I booked the hotels but now I'm worrying because I can't seem to get specific information on the train schedule--regular sites don't show the routes as being even possible (and I know they are) so I'm not sure of the timing.

Train from Madrid to Toledo on 7/28

Train from Toledo to Madrid and then on to Seville on 7/29

Train from Seville to Malaga on 8/1 (switch trains?)

How can I find the exact routes and times, especially for the second trip where basically we have to train back to Madrid to catch a separate train to Cordoba-Seville.

Cannot find on www.renfre.es and all the usual places. Anyone know for sure?

Thanks!!!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
30 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Madrid to Toledo to Seville?

Hey there,

I was actually planning the same route as you and I am going in May. From what I can tell, you have to go back to Madrid to take the AVE train to Seville. The Toledo ---> Madrid AVE train starts at 9:30am in the morning and takes only half an hour. Once back in the station, you would just hop onto the Madrid ---> Seville AVE train. Good news is that both AVE trains are in the same station (i forget the name, but there are two major train stations in Madrid)

I would just buy two separate tickets. If you are still interested, I'll let you know when I come back from Spain.

Sher

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
705 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from Madrid to Toledo to Seville?

The renfe.es web sites shows the schedules for the Toledo-Madrid and Madrid-Seville. You cannot see the schedule all the way out until July. But if you look within 60 days - just pick the same day of the week, my understanding is that it will only change by a few minutes.

Madrid
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from Madrid to Toledo to Seville?

Check timetable for trains to Toledo on

www.renfe.es

http://horarios.renfe.es/hir/ingles.html

Have a nice trip!!

derby
Level Contributor
597 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Train from Madrid to Toledo to Seville?

Hi agz

I'm a bit confused about your comments as to how to get from Seville to Malaga. There is a direct train service, but its not AVE, it's a modern railcar. (Railfaneurope.net tells me they are 2004 built 3 car units that do 100 mph on normal track) You need to use the Spanish version of the Renfe site to find it.

Go to

http://www.renfe.es/mediadistancia/index.html

click on Andalucia and then down the new page to Seville - Malaga.

It does only give times to mid-May, but they should not change a lot. A friend travelled this way in November with no problems.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
90 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train from Madrid to Toledo to Seville?

Hi there, agz again.

Now that I can purchase tickets I have a final question. I was able to find routes through the renfe web site from Madrid to Toledo, Toledo to Madrid, Madrid to Sevilla Santa Justa (same day as Toledo to Madrid), and Seville to Malaga. I was not able to duplicate all of those trips on raileurope. My question is this--if I purchase the 3 day rail pass through raileurope, I see there's a place to put in your "pass number" when you reserve a specific trip. Is it the same through renfe? If not, how do I go about using my railpass days while booking trips through the renfe web site (since raileurope still doesn't show them)?

Hey Sher, if you're there, how was your trip? Can you shed any light or recommendations? How did it go for you?

Thanks again!

agz