We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toledo card + AVE train

KCH
Sydney
Level Contributor
910 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Toledo card + AVE train

Hi everyone,

Can't find much about the Toledo card http://www.toledocard.com/ on this forum. But is it worth it?

It includes high speed train to and from Madrid which seems to be worth it if you are planning day trip from Madrid.

I read here that the trains are frequently full so you should book ahead. If I get the Toledo Card how would that work? Are you guaranteed to get on the train?

It also include priority access to Primate Cathedral. Is it worth it?

Thanks everyone.

Oswestry, United...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Toledo card + AVE train

Sorry, I know little. However, I would presume, until someone who knows better appears, that upon purchase of your 'pack' you set your train journey times and given a ticket. There are certainly no train journeys without allocation of a seat.

And technically speaking the trains are AVANT :-)

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
34 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Toledo card + AVE train

Did u purchase the card? Did you take the trip? How did it go? I'm really interested in purchasing the card with train as well.

KCH
Sydney
Level Contributor
910 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Toledo card + AVE train

I did not sorry. I bought the train tickets and entries to attractions separately. I also spent one night there. I am not sure if the card lets you do that. My AVANT tickets costs me 22 €. The card 42.75 €. So I don't think there is that much savings in there.

I went on a weekday so there were no queues so priority access wasn't necessary. Apart from the Cathedral, I went to all the religious buildings like the small mezquita, synagogue and monasteries. For those you can get a tourist bracelet that lets you in (8 EUR). You can save a few euros with that instead of individual tickets each for 1.50 (I think).

I didn't see many people with that card too.

Toledo is simply fabulous. Definitely the best day trip option out from Madrid.

Edited: 20 February 2014, 02:19
Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
58,575 posts
3,577 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Toledo card + AVE train

Friends:

For trains:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187514-c80518/Madrid…

For going to Toledo be sure to buy return tickets ahead of time because this route is heavily travelled, since it is a commuter route. You may not be able to return to Madrid otherwise when you want to.

I do not recommend city cards because they are more expensive than going to individual sights like museums. Unless you are planning to see all the sights in their program, it is best to buy tickets at each sight.

KCH
Sydney
Level Contributor
910 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Toledo card + AVE train

Absolutely.

I unfortunately did went with the Madrid city card. I didn't get value for money there. Although it did let me get into the Prado without queuing. But that could have been avoided easily by buying tickets online, which also gives you a good deal on the Museum Guide book as well. But I digress...

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
34 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Toledo card + AVE train

Would it be best to purchase train tickets in advance thur Renfe/AVANT? I also found that they can also be purchased through a company called Petrabax. What would you recommend?

Winter Park...
Level Contributor
531 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Toledo card + AVE train

buy direct from renfe....

you should buy in advance, but you don't need to worry much about the 62 day rule, because the full fares are like 10 euros.

petrabax should only be used if the renfe site is not accepting your card or there are other issues. Petrabax changes a markup off the renfe fares.

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
34 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Toledo card + AVE train

Won't the credit/debit card charge extra for exchange rate fees and such? I know my local credit union debit card charges at least 2 fees, one from VISA and another from the credit union. I believe our credit card does as well. So, I guess depending on those charges it may be cheaper going through Petrabax or maybe the same with Renfe? Anyone else care to add?

KCH
Sydney
Level Contributor
910 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Toledo card + AVE train

Going direct is likely going to be much cheaper? Credit card will charge you a few percent. A middle man will charges you much much more. Petrabax charges you USD18 one way. 10EUR is only 13-14EUR.

Credit card exchange rates are pretty good. I did everything online and downloaded renfe pass wallet app and have all my tickets stored on my smartphone. No juggling paper tickets around.

Benny's link above is the way to go.

Edited: 21 February 2014, 02:50
Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
34 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Toledo card + AVE train

Thanks KCH. Just waiting for Renfe to post July fares. Petrabax has the fares at $15 USD each way per person.