We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Toledo - how much time needed?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
Day trip to Toledo - how much time needed?

I'm taking the AVE on a day trip from Madrid to Toledo and trying to determine what time to book the return trip. If I leave relatively early (let's say 9:00), any ideas as to what time I should come back? I'd like to have enough time to see most of the tourists sites and have some time to walk around too and not have to rush.

Thanks for any advice!

Mentioned in this post
Madrid
Madrid
Community of Madrid, Spain
Toledo
Toledo
Province of Toledo, Spain
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
3 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Toledo - how much time needed?

There is so much to see that you will need to decide in advance how ambitious you want to be. Toledo is hilly so walking can be tiring.

Start at the Plaza Mayor, which is brilliant, and you will be in very close proximity to the Cathedral which is a must, and the Alcahazar.

Walk down to Plaza Zoncover and pick up the little tourist train which is absolutely brilliant for the overview if your time is limited. El Greco and the Synagogue as well as the Mosque are all worth seeing but you are unlikely to pack all that in, as well as the tapas bars, in a day.

Can't you stay over? Hotel Santa Isabel is very inexpensive and central to everything. We enjoyed Toledo more than Madrid!

Have fun.

Mentioned in this post
Toledo
Toledo
Plaza Mayor
Plaza Mayor
20,508 Reviews
Madrid, Spain
Hotel Santa Isabel
Hotel Santa Isabel
1,181 Reviews
Toledo, Spain
Madrid
Madrid
Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,122 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Toledo - how much time needed?

Saying over is a good idea...especially since most tourists don't so you will get another point of view AND time to really absorb the atmosphere.

If you don't do that, stay as late as you can and take taxi to hotel from Atocha (or Metro) in Madrid

Mentioned in this post
Madrid
Madrid
Missouri USA
Level Contributor
475 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Toledo - how much time needed?

My suggestion would be to do any museums you want to see first and then walking around and lunch. The museums close for lunch between 2 and 4. I made the mistake of walking around, doing the Cathedral and then found the museums closed for lunch. That is why I am going back and see what missed the first time.

Hamden, Connecticut
Level Contributor
250 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Toledo - how much time needed?

Chrix...is the Plaza Major a walking distance from the train station? I'm planning to do the same thing...a one day tour from Madrid.

Mentioned in this post
Madrid
Madrid
boston
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to Toledo - how much time needed?

the train station is within walking distance, but i would recommend taking a bus going to Zocodover to both save time and energy (the hills are decent size)

Right off of Zocodover there is a little Turistica shop where you can purchase the tickets for the ZocoTren which will give you decent views of the city.

With regards to the original question, I'd personally spend as much time in Toledo as possible. I was there for 4 months, and still don't think I saw everything.

Mentioned in this post
Toledo
Toledo
6. Re: Day trip to Toledo - how much time needed?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2009, 18:19