We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Valladolid for 9 nights sept/oct

Suffolk England
Level Contributor
74 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Valladolid for 9 nights sept/oct

Hi, we are looking at basing ourselves in Valladolid for about 9/12 nights ad travelling to interesting places in the surrounding area either by bus or train. We both love to enjoy the opportunity to share in the local ways of regional food and wine, and this region especially for a chilled bottle of Verdejo! We have an understanding of Spanish so language is not a problem for us (although it probably is for the locals!) and have had many an interesting trip on the buses/trains which we always favour using. Could anybody give us any ideas of what we may do on this trip to ensure we make the most of our stay in the region. All replies will be gratefully received. Thank you Angela

Mentioned in this post
Valladolid
Valladolid
Province of Valladolid, Spain
Cantabria
Destination Expert
for Cantabria
Level Contributor
1,957 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Valladolid for 9 nights sept/oct

I would recommend a visit to Peñafiel, especially if you enjoy your wine. The fantastic castle there is home to Valladolid province's wine museum - http://museodelvinodevalladolid.com/

On a recent trip to Valladolid we also fancied, but unfortunately didn't have time for, was Medina de Campo, which also has an impressive castle, and a famous very big, interesting and historical Sunday market (in fact everything opens on Sundays, so a good Sunday trip, as a result everything is closed on Thursdays): turismomedina.net/TurismoMedina/…20Ferias

Obvioulsy, Salamanca is close, Zamora, Burgos is possible, and Segovia and even Madrid are not far away by the AVE train.

Mentioned in this post
Valladolid
Valladolid
Province of Valladolid, Spain
Salamanca
Salamanca
Province of Salamanca, Spain
Burgos
Burgos
Province of Burgos, Spain
Segovia
Segovia
Province of Segovia, Spain
Madrid
Madrid
Community of Madrid, Spain
Suffolk England
Level Contributor
74 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Valladolid for 9 nights sept/oct

Thank you very much for your reply very encouraging to receive your response! I noticed by checking your previous forum replies that you speak about Oviedo, Gijon Ribadesella etc, we have visited this area of Asturias and really enjoyed it, as too we loved A Coruna through to Santiago de Compostela and the Mort coast down to Pontevedra (even Padron to witness home of russian roulette peppers!)and over to Lugo for the Pulpo con patatas festival.

I am keen to organise this break for Sept/Oct and the places you have mentioned are of great interest. We are happy to travel and explore but as I said by public transport so I will check that out. How about Zamora and Burgos? Wine producing regions thereselves are they interesting places for a day trip? We are not bothered about museums in general but the wine museum...definitely!!! If you get an opportunity to reply again I will be very grateful. Thank you Angela

Mentioned in this post
Oviedo
Oviedo
Asturias, Spain
Gijon
Gijon
Asturias, Spain
Ribadesella
Ribadesella
Asturias, Spain
Santiago de Compostela
Santiago de Compostela
Province of A Coruna, Spain
Pontevedra
Pontevedra
Province of Pontevedra, Spain
Lugo
Lugo
Province of Lugo, Spain
Burgos
Burgos
Province of Burgos, Spain
Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
7,951 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Valladolid for 9 nights sept/oct

Palencia and its cathedral, nicknamed 'La Bella Desconocida' (the Hidden Gem).

viajeteca.com/photos/%C3%81bside_catedral_de…

Plaza Mayor

…googleapis.com/static.panoramio.com/…

Mentioned in this post
Palencia
Palencia
Province of Palencia, Spain
Suffolk England
Level Contributor
74 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Valladolid for 9 nights sept/oct

Thank You, I will check it out...keep the replies coming!!!

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
7,951 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Valladolid for 9 nights sept/oct

Suggestions in Palencia:

Tapas & wine: 'Mdos' on Calle Marqués de Albaida.

Popular hole-in-the-wall: 'La Mejillonera' on Calle Martín Calleja. Speciality: Mejillones escoceses ('scottish' mussels).

Restaurant 'La Traserilla' on Calle San Marcos 12

Mentioned in this post
Palencia
Palencia
Province of Palencia, Spain
6. Re: Valladolid for 9 nights sept/oct

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 17 July 2011, 17:18
7. Re: Valladolid for 9 nights sept/oct

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 08:20