We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3-4 days in the Pyrenees

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
3-4 days in the Pyrenees

Hi,

Myself and my wife are travelling in Europe in the summer of 2012. We are both in our mid to late 20s and we want our trip to be a mixture of site seeing in major cities mixed in with some outdoor walks/activities in national parks.

We have planned to be in Northern Spain for approximately 10 days of our trip (I know we could spend so much longer but this is the time we have set aside). Our high level itinerary is as follows:

3 days San Sebastien & Surrounds - Arriving from Biarritz at the end of June

3 days Pyrennes

4 days Barcelona

After this we will be travel across to Cote DÁzur & Aix en Provence for approximately days.

We are pretty much set on 3 days in San Sebastien and 3 or 4 days in Barcelona, however where to go in the Pyrenees is still essentially undecided. Also we could change it so that we spend 3 days in Barcelona affording us 4 days in the Pyrennes.

For our 3-4 days in the Pyrennes what we really want to do is some moderate hikes/walks (1/2 day to 1 day maximum) and most importantly enjoy the scenery of the national parks, we would also look into adventure activities but this isnt essential. 

Please correct me but from my limited research there are two distinct regions of the Spanish Pyrenees the Aragon Pyrenees and the Catalan Pyrennes. Im sure there are Pros and Cons of each but from my research so far and reading on Trip Advisor I was thinking that we might go to the Aragon region. In terms of a base I really wasnt sure but I was thinking of Torla as it looks nice and then we could have a really good look around Ordesa National Park. Or alternatively Vall De Boi. Would anyone who has experience in the region be able to comment.

I would love if some travellers who have travelled the region in the past could give me some advice on the following:

Is the above itinerary sensibe and practical, or is there somewhere else in the region that is a real must?

In terms of the 3-4 days in the Pyrenees is there any major difference between the Catalan and Aragon Pyrennes?

Would anyone be able to recommend a good base or be able to comment on Torla and Vall De Boi?

I really look forward to any responses and help received

Thanking you in advance

BARCELONA.SPAIN
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3-4 days in the Pyrenees

I can only comment on the Catalan Pyrenees (Planned going to the Aragon side one of these years, but not having found the time yet)

A nice place to base for the Vall de Boi would be any of the little villages in the valley, as it´s ot too large. Barruera, Boí or Taull. From there you would have easy acces to the Aigues Tortes N.P. (The western part of the Sant Maurici-Aigues Tortes Park) and the nearby Vall d´Arán (I love that area)

In Aigues tortes there are several short and -medium hikes or some larger ones including the other side of the park: Sant Maurici

You can have a look at some of my pictures of my visit there:

www.pbase.com/joseantonio/pirineu_lleida

Hope to have helped.

Jose

2. Re: 3-4 days in the Pyrenees

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2013, 10:22