We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in October - trip suggestions

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
64 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Weather in October - trip suggestions

Hi!

We are planning a trip to Catalonia for about a week in the beginning of October (next week).

The question is whether it will be still possible to visit the Pyrinees (for example, Puigcerda, Ripoll, Andorra, maybe even Vielha). Or would it be better to stay away from the mountains?

It should be a quiet trip by car with a lot of scenery, nature, small villages, good local food. Any suggestions are very welcome :)

Thanks a lot!!

San Sebastian...
Level Contributor
386 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in October - trip suggestions

Hi Misha 75,

dry weather is expected for october but in the mountains it can easily change.

I recomend you to visit Valle de Aran (Vielha), you can do the Romanic route visiting very nice churches, hiking on the mountains through paths at 2000 metres high seing a lot of waterfalls such as Saut deth Pish, forests, lakes... You can also visit some mines for example Minas de Montoliu, the location is amazing and you can also see a homonym lake,

You don´t have to miss eating in some of the nice restaurants, I recomend you Tricolet in Baqueira, the view is espectacular and for tipical food you can go to Eth Restilhé, located in Garós.

Enjoy your trip,

Astrid in FeelFreeRentals.

Edited: 04 October 2011, 15:34
Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
64 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in October - trip suggestions

Thank you so much!

Do you think it's a good idea to do something like this:

Girona - Banyoles - Besalu - Olot - Ripoll - Queralbs - La Seu d'Urgell - Tremp - Baqueira - Vielha - Saint Girons - Tarascon-sun-Anege - Puigcerda - Mont Louis - Ille-sur-Tet - Perpignan - Port-Vendres - Cadaques - Figueres

Is it a good journey for a week? Not too short or too long?

San Sebastian...
Level Contributor
386 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in October - trip suggestions

hi,

i think it is too much, only to see the walley you are gonna need one week, there are so many nice places like the ones i told you before and the best is go walking so you are gonna need time.

Have fun,

Astrid in FeelFreeRentals.

Scottsdale, Arizona
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in October - trip suggestions

I am planning a similar trip in October this year. I am wondering if u did this trip and what your impressions were. We will have time for only about 4 days as we will spend some time in Barcelona. Which towns do you recommend we visit in the Pyrenees? We will be driving and would like to see nice towns with things to see and do. We rather sightsee rather than do active activities such as hiking. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
64 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather in October - trip suggestions

The weather was absolutely fabulous last year... but that doesn't mean anything for this year, of course.

You can see quite a few things in 4 days.

I would definitely recommend going to Besalu, which is a lovely small town with great views. A nice small miniatures museum on a central square there is well worth a visit.

From Besalu you can drive through a tiny and picturesque road to Beget village, which is an absolute delight. Take the road via Oix, which might not be on the map, but GPS will know it.

From Beget continue to Camprodon, where you can easily spend a few hours strolling through the streets.

From there continue to Nuria valley, where Queralbs and its surroundings are stunningly beautiful. Nuria valley can be enjoyed for a whole day, or even more.

From there go to France, via Puigcerda, which is not worth stopping at. Continue to Mont Louis and then Villefrance-de-Conflent, which is gorgeous.

Then you can visit a very nice natural monument at Ille-sur-Tet and get back to Barcelona through Perpignan and Figueres.

It's good to know that staying at farms called Turismo Rural might be the best way to experience the Pyrinees. At this time of year most of them are not booked, and you can just see them on the road (or better off the road, as lonely and remote as possible). Staying at such Turismo Rural farms includes home made dinner, and the prices are around 90 to 110 euros for a double room.

We stayed at Casa Etxalde (not far from Beget on the way to Camprodon http://www.etxalde.net/ ) and Mas la Casanova (near Queralbs http://www.maslacasanova.com/) - both can be very highly recommended.

Scottsdale, Arizona
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather in October - trip suggestions

Thank you for your reply!

I hope we have good weather as u had.

Just wondering if u stopped at Olot, Ripoll, Le Seud'Urgell and Andorra and if so is it worth to see these places. I am curious about Andorra before we enter France, Also are there direct roads between the small towns u mentioned in your previous posts?

Thank you again for your help.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
64 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather in October - trip suggestions

We didn't go to Olot, as Beget seems to be more interesting. There is a volcanic park near Olot, though, and it might be worth visiting if you have time.

Ripoll has one nice church (or was it a cathedral?). If you like that kind of stuff, you can stop for an hour.

La Seu d'Urgell is pretty boring. Bellver de Cerdanya is a nice town, though. Lles, Musser and Montella are nice small villages to visit if you are in that area.

Whether you should be there is another question. Andorra was a very beautiful country once, but its main road was completely ruined by industries. It's definitely worth visiting if you have time to explore its more remote parts, where there are villages, waterfalls and so on, but if you only have 4 days for the whole trip there might not be a lot of time to do that.

If you enter France through Andorra, it's a good idea to take the side road after Ax-les-Thermes. It is called Route de Vaychis - you won't regret driving it. (Put GPS on Vaychis or Tignac, and then Lordat and Appy).

After that, Foix is a very nice town with a great castle.

From there take the road to Axat, and go south to Mont Louis. The road from Axat to Mont Louis is a phenomenal drive.

Again - whether you have time to do all that, is another question. If you want to travel leisurely, it might be better to spend some time in Nuria valley, and then drive to Mont Louis via Puigcerda.

Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
156 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather in October - trip suggestions

Is it possible to visit those towns on day trips from Girona?

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
64 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather in October - trip suggestions

Besalu, Beget and Camprodon - most certainly yes.

Val di Nuria is also possible, I guess. It could take about 2 hours in each direction if you don't stop anywhere on your way.

Further trips could be a bit more problematic, but why do them? There are people who go on day trips to Andorra from Barcelona. Their sanity is questionable, but it's possible.

Birmingham west mids
Level Contributor
14 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Weather in October - trip suggestions

Hi Misha,

You seem to know what your talking about re driving abroad,I wondered if i could pose a question or two.

We are having trouble getting reasonably priced flights to Alicante as we want to spend x,mas in Albir..So we are considering driving from u.k ..

Folkestone to Calais then on through france to spain.I beleive you have no choice but to drive over the pyrenees ?.Is this practical or even sensible in late december.. My Brother who lives in Gibralter and has trucked to and from the uk for a living advises me to forget it....I would appreicate your thoughts and also if it is feasable...a good route..i expect we must use some toll roads we have a hotel booked for arrival 23rd dec...Leaving on 30th...what sort of travel time should we allow either way ?

Regards.

Sue,