We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Latin Mass?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
278 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Latin Mass?

Does anyone know if there is a Catholic Latin Mass currently in Barcelona?

Mentioned in this post
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Barcelona, Spain
56 replies to this topic
Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
4,273 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Latin Mass?

There was one at Barcelona Cathedral, but that was almost 700 years ago! I don't think there are these types of masses here, because Latin is a "dead language". Anyway, you can go to a normal one in catalan or spanish and some words are very common, after all, catalan and spanish are languages that come from Latin!

Mentioned in this post
Barcelona Cathedral
Barcelona Cathedral
8,221 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
8,245 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Latin Mass?

looking for mass in english i saw that in santa maria reina, pedralbes, they mix latin with spanish and catalan at weekends.

ps: perhaps on an opus dei church they celebrate it in latin.

Edited: 15 February 2017, 20:17
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
278 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Latin Mass?

Thanks for your quick reply.

I was looking for the Tridentine Latin Mass...I just saw there was one at Capella de La Mercè i Sant Pere as of 1015, but I don't know if it is still available. Just thought I would see if anyone local knew, or if there was another one somewhere, before I tried to call, as I don't speak much Spanish, and I can't seem to find an email address.

And although Latin is not spoken as a national language, for traditional Catholics, it is beautifully unchanging, so the beauty and true meaning of the prayers of the Mass are preserved throughout the test of time, thus, preserving the faith. We have been to masses in local vernaculars all over the world, but if we can find a Latin Mass, it is an incredibly reverant, special experience not to be missed, as it has withstood the test of time.😊 I would highly encourage anyone interested to experience it.

And, as you said, Latin was the only language used in Mass in the 700s, and could have been found in all of the churches in Barcelona back then. And actually in all of the Catholic Churches until the 1960's, when they allowed the local languages and interpretations to be used, and also with that, changed the way Mass was said. I would love to be able to experience it in the gorgeous Barcelona Catheldral, but it is not to be. But you could have found it there, and not just in the 700s, but also up to the 1960s...not that long ago. 😉

Thanks again for your quick reply. We are looking forward to coming to your beautiful city!

Mentioned in this post
Barcelona
Barcelona
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
278 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Latin Mass?

Thank you slatkin...I will look into that. I know in London at the Oratory, they have Masses in Latin, so I will also take a look at the Oratory at St. Philip Neri in Barcelona.

Thanks so much for the Santa Maria Reina information. I truly appreciate it!

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Barcelona
Barcelona
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
278 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Latin Mass?

In my post.3, I meant 2015, not 1015! Lol!

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
10,603 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Latin Mass?

... not the most appropriate city to visit for most things "churchy" :).... Barcelonians (in general) and the Catholic Church haven't been much in good terms for most of the last 200 years -except when the successive Spanish dictators have been in power of course, then the collusion of the Church and the government has been complete (and I suspect that's one of the reasons of this animosity I guess).

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
278 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Latin Mass?

Enric, I am a bit confused about Barcelona being "not the most appropriate city to visit for most things 'churchy.'" There is so much beauty to behold in Barcelona...We would like to see these beautiful things of the Church...I thought this would be very appropriate. I hope I am not mistaken.

La Sagrada Familia is the number one thing to see in Barcelona on Tripadvisor. It is an icon, and we were very much looking forward to seeing it, and all of the many works of Gaudi(who was a devout Catholic). My sons have been reading up and watching documentaries about him and his life and the amazing architecture he created in Barcelona. In fact, one documentary we watched was named, "God's Architect:Antonio Gaudi's Glorious Vision." We were looking forward to seeing many of his creations.

We also were looking forward to visiting the wonderful Gothic Quarter where there are many gothic churches, including the Barcelona Catherdral, the Basilica of Santa Maria Del Mar, the church of Santa Maria Del Pi, and the Church of Saint Philip Neri to name a few. St. Philip Neri is home to an Oratory, and we were looking forward to visiting and perhaps catching a Mass. I think Barcelona is very blessed to have all of these amazing churches in a relatively small area...I know where we live in Texas, we have nothing like these truly gorgeous gothic churches.😊

In addition, we were going to go to the Church of the Sacred Heart of Jesus atop Tibidabo for Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament, and also enjoy the gorgeous views of Barcelona.

Another outing planned was a day trip to Montserrat, a working monastery, and home to the miracle of the Madonna, where we will hear the boys' choir sing beautiful praises to God, and hike the glorious mountains and take in the unique scenery.

So, perhaps we are not the typical traveler, but we thought of Barcelona as being a perfect place to have a "churchy" visit.😄 I hope we are not mistaken.

Mentioned in this post
Barcelona
Barcelona
Basilica of the Sagrada Familia
Basilica of the Sagrada...
137,332 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
Hotel Gaudi
Hotel Gaudi
1,569 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
Hotel Del Mar
Hotel Del Mar
711 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
Montserrat
Montserrat
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Latin Mass?

Not a useful answer in the least.

Edited: 23 February 2017, 18:55
Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
2,181 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Latin Mass?

@iluvparisforever I 100% agree with you. If you have decided to come and see the Sagrada Familia or Montserrat for that matter good for you. Il be honest with you I'm not an overly religious person but I have so much respect for people who do. By the way I went to Montserrat 1 year ago and decided to stay overnight in the only hotel there, Abat Cisneros and I remember coming outside at 7am and having such a connection with my surroundings. Religious or whatever but it felt great to be there. @Enric your comment serves zero purpose. who are you to say Barcelona is not the city for all things "churchy" .we don't need a history lesson every time someone posts something that you don't agree with. Barcelona is full of people of every religious background. Again to the OP visit Montserrat you will be blown away.

Edited: 23 February 2017, 19:12
Mentioned in this post
Basilica of the Sagrada Familia
Basilica of the Sagrada...
137,332 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
Montserrat
Montserrat
Barcelona
Barcelona
Barcelona
Level Contributor
764 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Latin Mass?

There are 2 places with Tridentine masses (or similar) in Barcelona:

- Capilla de Nuestra Señora de la Merced (Laforja, 21): Monday to Saturday (20h) / Sundays and Bank holidays (9h regular & 12h sung). All these are tridentine, traditional Roman, Latin, whatever you want to call them)

- Parroquia de Santa María Reina (Miret i Sans, 36) (Pedralbes neighbourhood): Saturday (8.30h - Catalan & Latin) / Sundays (12.30h - Catalan, Spanish & Latin). These are mixed.

As you can see, the first one is your best bet.

Mentioned in this post
Barcelona
Barcelona
Reply to: Latin Mass?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted