We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

24h Big Supermarkets Near Airport

1 post
Save Topic
24h Big Supermarkets Near Airport

Hi,

I am flying into Barca on thursday night, and driving to Siurana for a climbing trip. We wont get out of the Airport until about 10-10:30 and will need to a big food shop for the trip.

I've tried googling 24h supermarkets around the area, but can only seem to find smallish convenient stores that close around 10-11. Can anyone recommend some big super stores that will be open 24h close to the airport / on route?

Thanks

12 replies to this topic
Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
13,973 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 24h Big Supermarkets Near Airport

Barca isn't convenient for Siurana. Barcelona is probably where you're going.

I would look further afield, dependent upon the route you are taking. There is a 24h Supermercado in Tarragona and a Supercor Express open until 2 a.m. There's also a Caprabo in Reus that is 24h that might be more convenient. Unfortunately none of these are edge of town places and I hate driving in Reus. Should be quite by the time you get there, though. There's also a Carrefour Express on the N420 at Reus that's open to midnight. Touch and go for a 22:30 start but probably doable if you get away for 22:00.

Failing that, there are several places easily reached from the N-240 at the north end of Valls, but they're only open 09:00 to 21:00. You could perhaps head for them late on the first full day, assuming you won't be climbing in the dark. Be aware that the roads in the area around Siurana are quite slow going, though.

Should you decide to do the latter, there is a big festival happening in Valls, programme here ...

valls.cat/noticies/2578-des-de-valls-santa-u…

and it looks like the practices of the two local castellers groups are open to visitors on Friday, for a rather different type of climbing. I'll be at the Colla Joves one. You might also, if you are into excitement and adrenaline, be interested in the correfoc, starting at 20:00 on Saturday night. I'll be going to the castellers event in Tarragona on Saturday evening so will probably miss this but might get back for the descent of Sant Miguel at 21:00 which is a remarkable sight.

Barcelona
Level Contributor
5,181 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 24h Big Supermarkets Near Airport

There are no big supermarkets that are open 24h but there are plenty of small supermarkets and convenient stores but they cannot be larger than 150m2.

pandachris2, your information on the Cabrabo in Reus is from personal experience? I ask as, as far as I know, Caprabo does not have 24h supermarkets as, like I've mentioned, only small places are allowed to open 24/7/365 and, in any case, even the other supermarket chains that have a small supermarkets brands (Carrefour with Carrefour Express, Condis with Condis Express, Consum with Charter or El Corte Inglés with SuperCor) do not open those stores 24h (and not all of them are open 7 days a week).

There is a Caprabo supermarket in Reus that Google claims is open 24h but I remind you that their info is not always correct and on other sires this supermarket has regular opening hours.

The only Region that cancelled all opening hours restrictions is Madrid. In Catalunya there are restrictions, like the one I've mentioned.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
13,973 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 24h Big Supermarkets Near Airport

Not personal experience, amirlivne, Google, which as you observe can get things wrong. Although I know Tarragona quite well we certainly never go shopping late at night. Of the places listed, the only ones that I can claim to know reasonably well are those in Valls which are no use for the OP on arrival night. I was just looking for places likely to have large shops en route-ish to Siurana.

Anyway, here's a list of Supercor Expres with opening hours.

supercor.es/supercor/…

The Tarragona one is at the bottom. The one in Castelldefels might also work as it's quite close to the airport.

Level Contributor
196 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 24h Big Supermarkets Near Airport

Hi and excuse me in advance for jumping in here....

Is there a supermarket right in BCN airport (landside or airside) which is open during the day and has reasonable prices?

Thanks in advance!

Marcus

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
21,793 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 24h Big Supermarkets Near Airport

No, no supermarket or even convenience store at the airport unfortunately.

Level Contributor
196 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 24h Big Supermarkets Near Airport

God, and sad, to know. The Carrefour outside (https://goo.gl/maps/9ikZj7AT6112) *might* be an option but pretty far.

Edited: 13 March 2018, 06:40
Barcelona
Level Contributor
5,181 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 24h Big Supermarkets Near Airport

If you'll describe the need we might think a solution.

If the idea is to have an inexpensive meal it will help to know the situation and the time that you have.

The mentioned Carrefour is a bit far and this is not an area to walk in but you can take a bus to the nearby town (El Prat de Llobregat) like the PR1 from T1 or the PR2/3 from T2.

The L99 from T1 (to Castelldefels) stops neat the mentioned Carrefour, but it's not a great area to seat at (.

The 46 bus will take you to the city and the train will get you to the city center in 25 minuets.

The duty free shops have a few local food items (like a few cheeses and jamon) but they are not cheap).

Edited: 13 March 2018, 10:26
Level Contributor
196 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 24h Big Supermarkets Near Airport

You are right, I did not go into details about my actual requirements and circumstances. So even more thanks for your response!

Circumstances: Layover 2:45 hours between EU and transatlantic flights, around lunch, Saturday.

Requirement: "Cheap" coke and a meal.

Thus bus might be a bit too risky.

Just to make sure: Walking is impossible/illegal (highway) or just unpleasant?

Barcelona
Level Contributor
5,181 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 24h Big Supermarkets Near Airport

There is a way to walk in the direction but it´s lone and very unpleasant but to give you a more accurate answer I checked the link you've provided with a little bit more attention and there is no Carrefour in this location. The big Carrefour on the way to the airport is further away and too far for you to reach on foot.

The buses I've mentioned especially the PR1 and PR2/3, are local buses with short routs around the airport but will take you to residential areas with restaurants, bars and supermarkets.

In any case,for an inexpensive meal (although not too healthy) you can go to McDonald, Burger King or Pans&Company at the airport. You can also get a not too expensive bite to eat at the coffee shops.

Level Contributor
196 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 24h Big Supermarkets Near Airport

Oh! Thanks for checking! Indeed it only showed only on google maps and not openstreetmaps.

If my first flight is early I'll get a bus, if not just the stores you mentioned.

Reply to: 24h Big Supermarkets Near Airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted