We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what wine to buy in spain?

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Topic
what wine to buy in spain?

we love dry wines like cabernets and would lvoe to know what wine we should buy while in spain. there are so many to choose from and we know nothing about the rioja wines. would love some tips on whats a good price and a good wine that we can bring back. thank you

P.S. can we bring a bottle of wine back with us to the US these days with all of the new rules yo never know

thanks

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,365 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what wine to buy in spain?

Can't help you with US rules, I'm afriad.

Assuming that you're going to Barcelona, then Penedes wines would be the stuff to buy. You might find tempranillo based reds a little more robust than cabernets, but there are a number of grapes used in Penedes that should suit.

Personally I'd go for Cava - the Catalan sparkling wine. A reasonable Cava is in my opinion (and for wine what else matters but your own opinion?) better than an average champagne and probably 1/3 of the price.

We're particularly fond of the pink cavas produced by Canals & Canals and those from Vilarnu are pretty good too. Find a decent bar and sample a selection.

We tried a rather tasty white from Canals & Canals at the 2006 Barcelona wine festival (a sheer delight if you happen to be in the city in late September).

It's called Maria Subriana and it's made using Xarel.lo grapes, a regional speciality. We brought several reds back as well, but I've just checked my "cellar" and there's no trace of them, so I must have finished them already. Must be near time for a return trip.

If you fancy trying cava, then El Xampanyet is supposed to be a pretty good place, although we seem to manage to miss out every time we visit the city. There's a pretty good short video here ...

geobeats.com/videoclips/…el-xampanyet

and I couldn't help but notice that one of our two favourite tapas bars (and a good place for Galician wine), Bar Celta was also on the same page.

I've drifted a bit off topic, but hope this gives you a few ideas.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,342 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what wine to buy in spain?

As I understand it you can bring wine into the States only in hold luggage. Flying from Spain to other destinations you can buy wine in duty-free shops (once you are airside) but not bring it through security from check-in.

Ask the airline you are flying in with what the regulations are. I've read about of people buying wine duty free and having it confiscated before a connecting flight , so needs checking.

Rioja is one region of Spain but there are lots of good wines from other regions, some oaky like rioja tends to be, some not. We like Somontano and Ribera del Duero for example.

Prices start at around 4€ in supermarkets. Restaurant mark-up is much lower here than elsewhere. One way to try different wines is to ask wine-waiter to recommend one (telling him your preferences) and then if you like it, look out for it in bodegas (wine shops)

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
9,278 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what wine to buy in spain?

Be aware that if you purchase any wine before arriving at the airport, they will have to be placed in your checked luggage, so you will have to take some precautions when packing the wine.

It's best to purchase the wine at the duty free store in the airport. The agency that runs the wine section in duty free carries a good selection of wines, but not all of them. (You are allowed one liter of wine per adult, but we often bring back several bottles.) Any wine you purchase will be placed in a clear, sealed plastic bag that can be carried onto the plane.

If you have to make a connecting flight, the custom agents will advise you to place the wine in your luggage to be rechecked, once you clear customs. You will not be allowed to carry it with you through the re-screening and security process to make the connecting flight. If you are not making a connecting flight, then there is no problem.

For an excellent white wine, look for Heredad Ugarte's Malvasia White 2006 (about 10€), not available in the States (www.heredadugarte.com/ingles/home_i.html)

Xaf
Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
1,566 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what wine to buy in spain?

Yes, no liquids onboard so wine bottles have to be checked.

In my case I've to deffend catalan wines :)

Here you can learn a but about regions in Catalonia: www.elcellercatala.com/wineregions.html

UK
Level Contributor
2,163 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what wine to buy in spain?

Some excellent info here on - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_wines

My personal advice would be to try a good Rioja, honestly, if you taste a good Rioja with it's vanilla, oaky tones, you will be spoilt for life! Try a Tempranillo & the Valdepeñas region also has some good wines.

If you are still in Madrid, head to the Plaza de Sta Ana. on the opposite corner to the ME Reina Victoria Hotel is the Vinoteca Barbechura which does wines by the glass or bottle. There is a very helpful barman in there who will give you tasters & help you to find your favourites.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
705 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what wine to buy in spain?

I am going to be in Barcelona in late Sept, does anyone have any information on the wine festival then.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,365 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what wine to buy in spain?

majmaj4

Googling it gives dates in June but the festival I'm referring to goes by a different name that I'm struggling to recall. It is in Catalan. Xaf or Lynda might be able to help, because I won't be able to check until i get home in a few days and locate one of the complimentary wine glasses.

It takes place about the same time as the amazing Merce festival which is usually around 24th September but can be rather difficult to pin down. It is based at Port Vell and I think runs for 3 days. There are usually a range (20+) of vineyards and a number of cheese and cooked meat producers too.

Prices are very competitive and it's a fun way to spend an afternoon. I'll see if I can find out more about this year's festival.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,365 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what wine to buy in spain?

To whet your appetite, especially if your timing is right, here we are at the 2004 festival (that's me in the hat).

avengerpenguins.com/v-web/…2004WineFestival5

There are lots of Barcelona pics in that Gallery from September '04, including many related to the wine festival ot the Merce, but it's time we added some from 2006.

I hope your trip coincides with the festivals. You'll love it.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
705 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: what wine to buy in spain?

pandachris,

The pictures definitely wetted my appetite.

I will be there for part of the merce festival, so hopefully I will be able to catch some of the wine festival also.

If you find the festival name on the glasses please post. So far I also just found the June wine festival.

Thank you for the help.

Melbourne
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: what wine to buy in spain?

What I like about tempranillo is that it ages a lot faster than cabernet, so you have a sporting chance of finding something that is ready to drink. (Instead of being impressed by a cabernet but at the same time thinking how lovely it would be in 10 years). Garnacha (grenache) also ages quickly.