We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to buy at the Boqueria?

New York
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Topic
What to buy at the Boqueria?

What products should i look out for at the market to take home?I heard that Bola is a good rice (did i spell that right?)

thanks in advance

France, Andorra, and Spain from...
1,044 reviews
from US$146.60*
Priority Access: Barcelona Sagrada...
2,944 reviews
from US$44.30*
Barcelona City Tour, Sagrada Familia...
1,650 reviews
from US$112.40*
Special Offer
Montserrat and Oller del Mas Tour...
439 reviews
from US$112.73*
US$118.66
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
20,653 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to buy at the Boqueria?

In Boqueria you have loads of choice of products at all price levels. However check first what US customs will let you bring through, it's pretty restrictive though I think if meat products are vacuum packed it's OK. Certainly dairy products and fruit used to be banned (and prob. still are).

Boqueria is pretty touristy these days; another option is Santa Catalina market , or indeed any of the smaller neighbourhood markets.

British Columbia
Level Contributor
51 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to buy at the Boqueria?

Yes, the "taking home" part is the problem, as Lynda has said. But definitely try some of the great cured meats, cheeses and fruit while you're there. Some of the meats and cheeses can only be obtained with great difficulty (if at all) in North America.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
20,653 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to buy at the Boqueria?

In post "Madrid must haves" someone has said the olives and ham they bought were confiscated by US customs or immigration.

I seem to remember (I think!), my brother and sister-in-law taking vacuum-packed ham through. Do check, as I said before.

London
Level Contributor
513 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to buy at the Boqueria?

Buy prawns

UK
Level Contributor
2,163 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to buy at the Boqueria?

Gaylord, surely not to take back to NY?

London
Level Contributor
513 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to buy at the Boqueria?

Only joking

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
46 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to buy at the Boqueria?

We got amazing truffle candies at a dried fruit stand near the rear. The young woman working there gave us one to try when we stopped to look at the great looking food. We were hooked and brought them back with no hassle.

8. Re: What to buy at the Boqueria?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 01:18