We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Never been - advice?

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Topic
Never been - advice?

I am thinking of visiting Barcelona next March, with my 14-year old niece (who is a great traveler). I have never been to Spain and am not terribly familiar with it...want a nice but not four-star place to stay? ANd should I plan to rent a car for out of town excursions? Help!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,417 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Never been - advice?

Start with www.bcn.es and select "tourism" in the left column.

You will not need a car in Barcelona.

While we did not travel outside the city proper, if you read other posts in this Forum, there's information on traveling to nearby towns by rail.

(I can tell you where not to stay, but don't have any recommendation for a good place.)

Barcelona has a great deal of variety: great architecture (more than the Gaudi buildings), beaches, parks and historic buildings.

We were just there last month (May 2007) and enjoyed a two day Bus Turistic pass and a walking tour of the Bari Gothic. Info on the website above.

wales
Level Contributor
456 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Never been - advice?

Mr advice is to stay at the airport hotel Ciutat Del prat. just 10 ins by thie hotwel bus. Excellent rooms and breakfasts, super staff. Use the train which is a 12 min walk from the hotel to get to barcelona centere. Every 12 mins. It takes 20 jmins. use the barcelona tourist bus to get arouns , Use it for 2 or 3 days. After having your fill of barcelona go back to hotel, hacve a rest and go outside into the lovely suburb and use one of the many local snack bars, resaurants. very reasonable as they are catering for the locals( who are very friendly). To rent a car use sol mar who are again based at the airport in terminal B. About £100 for a week, economy model.All the best..With the car you must see Tarragona. If yo7u want a cheap hotel around there use the Best hotels siter and stay in salou, best to be in their hotel in cap Salou, lovely beach frontage, All their others are in the town. All good and reasonable if booked on the web. Hoever there are good rail links along this length of coast and you may find that yopu do not need a car. The resorts to the north will need the use of a car. If you fancy a fairly long drive then go to the Begur area as a base and travel each way from there. to see the beaches. Aguablava and Sa Riera and Sa Tuna are the best small ones. Palamos, Estartit, La Eescala, Roses are the best bigger ones. girona, Figueres are the best larger towns.All the best.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
55,287 posts
3,473 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Never been - advice?

Dear Seattle:

On the web they have Maribel's Guide. Look for the one for Barcelona and you will get the best info.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,112 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Never been - advice?

Stay in Barcelona itself, not out at El Prat!

If you stay in the Eixample it's central but mixed residential/shopping/ business and not touristy like a lot of Barri Gotic and Ramblas area. Raval in particular is a definite no for 2 women to stay in my opinion (OK during the day ).

Gracia is also pretty, more small-town feel and Vallcarca is further out but 15mins from centre with metro. That's very green and hilly and a completely different side to Barcelona.

You cd look at www.venere.com which is very clear: you can compare prices easily, choose by area, read guest comments. We've used venere quite a few times.

Loads of day-trips can be done by train. Look at my Inside Page "Day trips from barcelona" in Barcelona overview. Girona is my favourite.

5. Re: Never been - advice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 16:20