We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions , Quesions...

new orleans
14 posts
Save Topic
Questions , Quesions...

I have heard mixed opinions on whether I should take a taxi (50 euros but safer?) from the airport to my hotel(I assume the taxi will take you to your exact location) or to take the shuttle bus and then walk a 10 min. walk to my hotel(4 euros). What is your advice?

Consider I am solo and that the walk includes baggage.

What about the best way to depart Barcelona and get to the airport in the fastest way?

I wanted to thank everyone for their input on the pickpocketing situation. It seems the best thing to do is be very viligant. It would probably be better to not be travelling alone... I was just concerned because I have asthma medicine that I keep in my purse and I wouldn't want my purse to be snatched.

I would be concerned with taking pictures and fearing thieves would pounce when your guard is down.

Is it reccommended to go to the beachfront and if so what would be the best way to get there(which stops) or should I try to avoid the metro as much as possible?

Would it be wise to not venture out alone at night?

Best,

Adele

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,431 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions , Quesions...

Where is your hotel and what time of day are you arriving?

The airport bus is very convenient but you will have to be able to lift your bag onto the bus (unless some kind person offers to help).

Also, does your hotel have an elevator? Many seem to be located above business.

For safety concerns, I would take a taxi: 1) you don't have to worry about pickpockets on the bus or while you stand in line and 2) it should take you directly to your hotel so you don't have to wander around to find the hotel once you get off the bus. 3) you can get your money out before you get out of the taxi so you don't fumble with your purse on the sidewalk.

ASK the driver how much BEFORE you get into the taxi or make certain it has a meter. We took a cab from the Renaissance

hotel near the airport to Placa Catalunya for 20 euros which the driver quoted us in advance.

Have various denominations of euros with you before you get into the taxi.

I recommend the Bus Turistic. It goes near all the major tourist sites including the beach.

new orleans
14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions , Quesions...

Thank you so much!

I arrive around 2:30 p.m. and my hotel is apparently a 10 minute walk from Placa de Catalunya. The manager at my hotel said that he could arrange for a cab to pick me up at the airport for 50 euros. Ouch! It seems to me that it would be cheaper to catch a cab from the airport straight to my hotel without involving the hotel to arrange for the cab.

My questions to you are if there are cabs to catch from the airport and are cabs easy to catch in Barcelona to get me back to the airport for my departure?

Doesn't 50 euros seem a bit much for a cab fare from the airport to my hotel?

Do you think it would be better to take the shuttle and then take a cab to my hotel from Place de Catalunya?

wales
Level Contributor
589 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions , Quesions...

Use the airport/Barcelona train link (every 12 mins0. it is often very packed but everyone is in the same boat. There are lifts and escalators to get about the various levels on the stations. Then get a taxi from the station you get to in Barcelona. some of the raos there are very busy(on the pavements). However you may find that the 10 min walk to your hotwel is O.K. All the best

Germany
Level Contributor
103 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions , Quesions...

Definitely don't take a taxi. That price is outrageous. There are too many other cheap forms of transportation into the city. Think about wearing a sleeveless vest with inside pockets to put valuables until you reach your destination. Don't leave your luggage alone.

Nighttime in Barcelona is very pretty, with the lighted fountains in the middle of the boulevards. You'll feel safe. I don't recommend carrying a purse, however. Something with concealed zipped pockets worked for us.

5. Re: Questions , Quesions...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 17:22